VMware Horizon Community
ice99
Contributor
Contributor

communicating between 2 processes in virtual memory

In usual enviroment i have 2 exe-files, which communicates between each other (via RAM, i suppose). And do it ok.

Let it be "a.exe" and "b.exe"

I make an virtual application with these 2 files, make in Package.ini 2 enter points

[a.exe]
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\a.exe    (name of executable)
Shortcut=a.dat                                 (name of container)
WorkingDirectory=%ProgramFilesDir%\

[b.exe]
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\b.exe
Shortcut=a.dat

When i start a.exe, then start b.exe, application b.exe doesn't see application a.exe inside a virtual enviroment.

They see each other physicaly on virtual disk, but not see each other in virtual memory.

how to fix it?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Both the virtual apps are running in there own virtual bubbles. Can you please tell me that using what method are they trying to communicate with each other?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ice99
Contributor
Contributor

Pankaj1 wrote:

Hi,

Both the virtual apps are running in there own virtual bubbles. Can you please tell me that using what method are they trying to communicate with each other?

Thanks.

You mean that 2 virtual application, started from one virtual enviroment running in there own bubbles?

I thought, that main idea of virtualizing "multi-exe" projects is running all nessesary exe-s in ONE bubble.

As i wrote before, In my case  i suppose that one and only bubble "a.dat" for exe-s "a.exe" and "b.exe"

[a.exe]
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\a.exe    (name of executable)
Shortcut=a.dat                                 (name of container)

[b.exe]
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\b.exe
Shortcut=a.dat

About way of communicating between a.exe and b.exe i can hardly explain, because i'm not the author. All i can say is b.exe do some kind of memory (not file) patching of process, borned by a.exe.

0 Kudos
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

>>I thought, that main idea of virtualizing "multi-exe" projects is running all nessesary exe-s in ONE bubble.

>>As i wrote before, In my case  i suppose that one and only bubble "a.dat" for exe-s "a.exe" and "b.exe"

Your idea is totally correct about virtualizing the app, it's my bad I missed the point that they are a part of the same virtual package. Ok, so the problem is that we have two processes A and B, and they are both in the same bubble and yet they are not able to communicate with each other.

>>All i can say is b.exe do some kind of memory (not file) patching of process, borned by a.exe.

Do you see any error message being shown? Which version of ThinApp are you using, if it's less than 4.7 then please try 4.7 (you never know the issue might be fixed in the latest release)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ice99
Contributor
Contributor

Pankaj1 wrote:

>>I thought, that main idea of virtualizing "multi-exe" projects is running all nessesary exe-s in ONE bubble.

>>As i wrote before, In my case  i suppose that one and only bubble "a.dat" for exe-s "a.exe" and "b.exe"

Your idea is totally correct about virtualizing the app, it's my bad I missed the point that they are a part of the same virtual package. Ok, so the problem is that we have two processes A and B, and they are both in the same bubble and yet they are not able to communicate with each other.

>>All i can say is b.exe do some kind of memory (not file) patching of process, borned by a.exe.

Do you see any error message being shown? Which version of ThinApp are you using, if it's less than 4.7 then please try 4.7 (you never know the issue might be fixed in the latest release)?

Thanks.

There is no system error message, but memory patcher "b.exe" show message "I can't see process 'a.exe' ". In usual (non virtual) enviroment i get this message only when i not start process "a.exe" and try to apply memory patch "b.exe".

I use 4.6.2-467908 , but i'll try   4.7. As far as i see changelog there is no bugfixes in 4.7, only Horizon manager.

Or can you advice maybe some memory\file managers\loggers, which i can start in virtual bubble, to monitor requests between processes? I tried to use utils filemon,regmon,procmon from microsoft\russinovich, but no luck whith them.

0 Kudos
ice99
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried thinapp 4.7, but got the same result. Application cannot see each other inside a virtual bubble.

0 Kudos