VMware Horizon Community
htroyo
Contributor
Contributor

can't run thinapp'ed apps, antivirus or something else blocking them

hello, i can run thinapps in my home (winxp and win7, when it is runnable on win7) in my college i can run the apps when using win7 (again, when the app is runnable on win7) but in xp i have a problem, in some computers the antivirus appears saying some silly things and doesnt allow the app to start, and an additional error that says i dont i dont have permission to access path, device or hmmm something else, i'm attaching a screenshot with the error

PS: im some libraries' computers i dont receive the antivirus error, but apps doesnt start and show the other error

PS2: i really hate that antivirus, computers are infected by virus and doesnt protect anything, i have to go home and desinfect my external hdd with my kaspersky or notron AV, and they doesnt lock my thinapps

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Cievo
Commander
Commander

What error message (window) do you get when antivirus is disabled/not installed? Give us screenshot.

IMHO there is implemented AD security feature into packages.

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
htroyo
Contributor
Contributor

i cant try disabling the antivirus because i dont have admin permissions in those pcs, but in libraries' computers, i get the wame error, they use another antivirus, but the thinapp error is exactly the same as the one shown in the screenshot i posted before

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Can you, please, right-click on EXE file and select Properties and post screen here?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
htroyo
Contributor
Contributor

yes, today came back to those computers and captured screenshoots

-the problem also happens with portableapps.com portables

- in both apps the summary tab is empty

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Weird. Can you copy files to other location (other disk) a try to run it?

What about Eventlog? Any events?

Ziegenfus
Contributor
Contributor

I am currently out of the office. I have limited email access and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Stephen Ziegenfus

Systems Administrator

Balch & Bingham, LLP

1901 Sixth Avenue North

Suite 1500

Birmingham, AL 35203

(205) 488-5401

www.balch.com

0 Kudos
EV_Simon
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking at this screenshot here it looks like you only have limited access to your USB devices, are you sure that your admins haven't restricted access to them (can you write data to it?)

htroyo
Contributor
Contributor

hello everyone, thanks for your replies...

well, i havent tried to copy those files into another disk, i run them directly from my usb hdd because on win7 computer i just have the common compatibility problems, i'll try to cpty them to local hdd, and yes i can write my data into usb hdd, some weeks ago i had problems because win7 removed all permission from my disk (i dont know if it happened at college or at home, im admin in my both) home computers and when i realized about that i went to my hoime's computer and restored the permissions, i don't know if there are limitations on usb drives, thanks for your help i'll try your suggestions...

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Don't forget to let us know Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
htroyo
Contributor
Contributor

helllo, thanks, copying files to another disk solves my problem and i can run the thinapps correctly!!!

thank you again, do you know how to configure usb device to set writing permissions_ i use an external hdd so when i build the thinapp i dont compress the package so i have a cs5.5 package (4 gb) and office 2007/2010 (2 or 2.5 gb) and some computers have a quota set on local hdd (sometimes 512 mb or 300 mb) and firefox portable with all my history and session, sorry for asking this apart from this topics

0 Kudos
htroyo
Contributor
Contributor

maybe on my xp computer i can set the permission for writting data, do you know if setting full control permission to"everyone" works? on win7 i have set all permissions correctly

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

When you Thinapp application, by default your sandbox is stored in user's profile which is on local computer disks which means it's under quota limitations. You can change location of your sandbox so it's created in same directory as Thinapped application is stored at.

To do so, go to Package.ini and under section [BuildOptions] change add following line:

SandboxPath=.

Rebuild package and test application. Your sandbox will be created right on USB key/disk where quota aren't applied.

Have a nice day,

PS: Mark someone's answer as "answer" so this thread can be closed as Answered.

0 Kudos
htroyo
Contributor
Contributor

hello everyone, again thanks for helping me, i solved my problem, well i cant star thinapp from usb drives but i realized that xp computer dont have aquota, i can copy thinapp locally ans start them, for bigger apps it doesnt matter because external hdds are faster than usb keys when copying files, i just will copy the thinapp to local disk and pick up the sandbox when done, it worked for me some months ago, thanks for your help

0 Kudos