VMware Horizon Community
sanjolabosi
Contributor
Contributor

Windows - Delayed write failed

I get a "windows-delayed write failed" error when launching a thinapp package.

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \sandbox\xtend\myname\xtend\registry.tlog.cache. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save the file elsewhere.

Any ideas? The end user has permission to network share and she is an admin on the local machine.

xtend.JPG

0 Kudos
8 Replies
auhank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On physical machines, we found that opportunistic locking interacts with thinapps if folder redirect is in use.  The general issue is described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q296264/.  We disabled oplocks in this scenario. --darrel

0 Kudos
JugOfTuiPlease
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've also been getting a few 'write delays'

Thanks for your suggestion, I will try it out and report back the results.

0 Kudos
JugOfTuiPlease
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately , no result with the OPlocksDisable registry key. My thinapp still isn't launching

0 Kudos
sanjolabosi
Contributor
Contributor

I have a case open with VmWare. Let's see what they have to say. 

0 Kudos
JugOfTuiPlease
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version of ThinApp are you using?

I was getting my Write Delay errors when thinapping apps with 4.5

I tested thinapping the same apps with version 4.0.1 and am getting much better results.

0 Kudos
sanjolabosi
Contributor
Contributor

I am using version 4.6 which is the latest. 

0 Kudos
sanjolabosi
Contributor
Contributor

Hey..this might have resolved this issues. VMWare tech came back to me with this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890352

I did map the sandbox dir and i don't seem to be getting the error any more. Smiley Happy Hopefully I didn't jinx it.

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Technically ThinApp has no control on paging writes as these are generated by windows Virtual memory manager. An application calls WriteFile -> ThinApp redirects it in user mode -> redirected call goes to kernel -> data get written on cache -> call return to appication.

After some time windows modefied page write thread flush this data -> VMM raises a paging write (This is where you are seeing this problem).

Good to see the tech guys have provided a solution as it may not be possible at ThinApp end to solve it.

0 Kudos