VMware Horizon Community
VirtuAlex_Z
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual paths in a ThinApp project

Hi all,

i'm a ThinApp beginner. Up to now, i've created a few test "ThinApps" and i can say i will love it! It's very simple and flexible..

But i have a some questions to you pros:

How can i figure out what are the target physical paths of the virtual paths at my system where i start the virtualized application?

If i start a command prompt in the virtual environment/context (-> entry point) could i resolve these virtual paths, e.g. %SystemSystem%?

Could i create/add custom virtual paths at the project folder before i build the virtual application?

Thanks in advance

Alex

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

pbjork just answered it right like always Smiley Happy

***Good question is half of the answer...***

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, ThinApp is great Smiley Happy

How can i figure out what are the target physical paths of the virtual paths at my system where i start the virtualized application?

If you check documentation you can find a list of those Macro Names. Page 112 of http://www.vmware.com/pdf/thinapp461_manual.pdf.

If i start a command prompt in the virtual environment/context (-> entry point) could i resolve these virtual paths, e.g. %SystemSystem%?

Nope, those Macro Names are resolvable in ThinApp project and also in scripts built into entry points.

Could i create/add custom virtual paths at the project folder before i build the virtual application?

You cannot create own Macro Name. Why do you need such a think? If you want to create system environmental variable, you can do it.

Have a nice day,

VirtuAlex_Z
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks for your quick answers!

I have not yet reached the point of the documentation... :smileygrin:

..You cannot create own Macro Name. Why do you need such a think? If you  want to create system environmental variable, you can do it.

I thought if i have to add additional files that was not included by a setup and a appropriate virtual path does not exist.

What's the best way to add additional files? Simply copy it before running post-scan?

You cannot create own Macro Name. Why do you need such a think? If you  want to create system environmental variable, you can do it.

How does it work?

thanks

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can manually add any valid Folder Macro into the project folder and copy files you want to add to your project and simply hit build.bat. You can copy during Setup Capture as well but you do not have to.. If the path do not have a valid Folder Macro associated with it can you address it hard coded from the root of C: which is called %drive_C%, e.g. %drive_C%\FolderName.

System variables created during Setup Capture should be captured and available within the package.

Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

pbjork just answered it right like always Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
VirtuAlex_Z
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks to both of you for your great help!

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Can you, please, mark one answer as answer so this thread is closed and answered? Smiley Happy

Thank you,

0 Kudos