VMware Horizon Community
JoeShmoe
Contributor
Contributor

View and ThinApp best practice?

In terms of best practice how should you combine VDI with app streaming (i.e. View and ThinApp together)?

i.e. a thin client desktop boots a Windows image from a master clone on a storage platform (i.e. a Linked Clone) then dependent on the user/profile a

ThinApp server streams applications to that desktop image asrequired, reducing network traffic/launch latency etc

This is a good start ( http://edwinfriesen.nl/content/?p=163 ) but im still not clear on whether you'd want to stream as much as possible or keep core apps (i.e.

office) on the master image? Which performs better, which gives the user the best experience and which is the more cost effective?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Joe.

I would stream as much as possible with a some exceptions: Office and AV is a few of those.

With this approach you can reuse your golden image with as many users as possible and do not have to make specific one for each usertype.

Its a much easier operation to upgrade a single streamed app then to recompose all your clones after the upgrade.

Office is so tightly bound to the Windows OS so I usually recommend that to stay in the golden image.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert

Not to dispute your advice, but I've been participating in multiple demonstrations of desktop virtualization and Microsoft in their virtualization demos is streaming Office and Microsoft is preaching separating applications from the OS.

As can be expected, the MS demos of virtual desktops running virtual applications hosted on virtual servers went well.

0 Kudos