VMware Horizon Community
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Very slow startup of thinapped applications from network share.

Hello,

I have problems with startup times of my thinapps, but the problem is only when they are stored on a network share.

For example startup time of thinapped libre office 3.4 from local drive is few seconds and from the network share the startup time is about 40s.

Both server and clients are in local network and when I tried to copy a thinap package from server to the client  I get about 50MB/s of transmittion.

Server is win2008r2 and clients are mixed win XP and win 7.

This 50MB/s of transmition is lees than a 110MB/s of sequential read from the local disk, but it should not cause ten times slower start of the thinapp package.

When I was testing this, there were no load on the server or network, just me testing. On client machines we are running MS forefront security and thinapp profiles are stored on local disk under user profile. Also we are using thinapp 4.6.1.

What could be causing this slow startups ? Do we need to configure something additional in Package.ini when thinapp packages are stored on the network share ?

Best regards, Primoz

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sounds like an issue with your Antivirus.. It is probably scanning the file and therefore delays the startup. Make sure to keep your ThinApp repository as read-only for end-users and exclude it from on access scanning in your AV software.

0 Kudos
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I map my thinapp repository as network drive into  client VM and it is read only. I also add the path to the repository under trusted sites in internet options.

I'll try now to dissable an antivirus and report back.

0 Kudos