VMware Horizon Community
SomeSlacker
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to Thinapp

We have an application that is basically just an Access database, ini file and shortcut that are saved to the local C: drive.  The database is updated regularly, the end user typically has to copy the updated mde down to the local drive.  Trying to make the distribution so that we can just update the thinapp instead of having the end users copy files down.

What I have tried to do is:

- Start a pre-scan

- Create the desired local directory off of the root of C:

- Copy all of the working files to the newly created directory

- Setup the desktop shortcut and then run the post-scan. 

- Build the package using the MDE as the entry point

The package builds, the %drive_c% shows the directory and necessary files but not all files are making it to the final build.  I'll execute the .exe or .msi on the workstation and the .ini file will be missing or I'll rebuild the package and the mde is not there for some reason. 

Has anyone run across anything like this?  Any particular tips/gotchas for this type of package creation?  On a side note, anyone have any luck thinapping PGP Desktop?

Cheers

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is this a clean desktop?  How are you installing after pre-scan exactly?  Dragging and dropping?  Some of the things I would do after pre-scan and install are: 1. Open the mdb file and make a small change to a field (rename an unused field or something) 2. Go into the ini file and do the same. (just add a comment line) 3. Put the shortcut to desktop and change a letter in it's name from uppercase to lowercase.   Then I'd run a post scan and build. By changing the files on the machine thin app should surely pick them up during post scan.

pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I agree with Bradl100 that we should capture all such changes, but since it seems we are not.. You can always manually copy the files into your project and then rebuild.

SomeSlacker
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you both for the replies.  The machine for CnB is bare XP, tools and thinapp, nothing else.  I'll give the modification of the files a shot.  When I initially do a capture when dragging-dropping the files, the %drive_C% would show the files for the application.  Unfortunately there isn't a formal installation process other than copying the files from a fileserver share to the local drive.

Cheers

0 Kudos