VMware Horizon Community
logiboy123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thinreg only registers a single shortcut out of several

I've created a package for Websense Email Security 7.3 which has several shortcuts linking through to different executables in the program files folder. When I run a thinreg against the main executable it only creates the shortcut for that and none of the others. If I install using the MSI it installs all the shortcuts. Package.ini attached. Any help would be appreciated.

I've found I can manually register each shortcut using thinreg, but when deploying from SCCM I would really rather only have to register against a single object and get all shortcuts.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you tried registering multiple entry points by using the below command:

thinreg.exe /a ThinAppPath\*.exe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Please attach the package.ini file

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

File attached again.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you tried registering multiple entry points by using the below command:

thinreg.exe /a ThinAppPath\*.exe

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You know I was just last night wondering if there was an option to use a wildcard to register all the shortcuts. I'll give this a try on Monday and let you know.

Out of curiosity is this expected behavior or not?

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

In order to register all Entry Points of a package you must address all Entry Points. You can do it individually, one at a time, or using wildcard. This is by design.

Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, it is an expected behavior.

logiboy123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As an update I created a new script that uses wildcards to install each of the shortcuts in a single go. The syntax is;

\\server\share\thinreg.exe /a "..\complete\*.exe"

The install.cmd file is located in a folder called Scripts and my folder structure for each app is as follows;

SASManagementConsole9.2_R1 - Application folder defined by CompanyProductVersion_PackageAttempt

Complete - Holds the output of the project bin.

Documentation - Holds the install guide and the thinapp document.

Project - Holds the setup capture data

Scripts - Holds scripts used to map temporary network drives, install and uninstall scripts. I use these to deploy the application to test machines for UAT and before we put the application into SCCM.

Source - Holds original product application install files, patches, hotfixes, updates, dependencies, dlls etc.

So the above script calls against thinreg, does an install for all users, searches back down one folder level and up into Complete (which holds the exe, dat and msi) and installs all shortcuts.

Hope someone finds this useful.

0 Kudos