VMware Horizon Community
Liquidgeek
Contributor
Contributor

Thinreg Setup

Hi all,

Here is my problem I tried to set up a thinapp repo based on the video i saw where everything is done via the AC. assign a person to a security group and they have access to the app, take them away from the security group and the app is removed looks like a very simple setup so i attempted it. i have the logon script as a vbs.

Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WSHShell.Exec("""%LOGONSERVER%\NETLOGON\THINREG.EXE"" /Q ""\\nas\ThinAppRepo\*.EXE""")

then i create a security group called chrome ( for google chrome )

i the create the thin app using thinapp version 4.7.3  (in this case google chrome for testing) and i add it to the security group i created called chrome.

i add the thinreg.exe and the logon script to the %LOGONSERVER%\NETLOGON folder

i then create my gpo under user config for logon script then add the logon script, next i apply the gpo to my test computer OU

when i log into my test pc with my test account it adds google chrome to the desktop even though my test account is not part of the security group chrome.

What am i doing wrong?

can someone please help, i have to get this to work and what seem like something so simple turned out to be something more. maybe im missing a step or didnt apply a certain setting i dont know. Im completly new to this and trying to wrap my brain around it. if anyone needs me to clairify or go into more detail on what im doing, just ask. the sooner i can resolve this issue the better.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The ThinReg registration should happen only if the logged on user (the account under which ThinReg is being run) is a member of one of the groups mentioned by PermittedGroups setting in package.ini of the application's project (in your case Chrome). It's strange that you are seeing this issue.

Can you try with a simpler setup i.e. don't use a GPO based logon script but run the script manually in your environment using the same user account, AD and security group and see how it behaves?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

There is only one exception:

When the thinreg.exe utility registers a package for all users with the /allusers parameter, ThinApp creates all shortcuts and file type associations regardless of the PermittedGroups setting. When you double-click a shortcut icon that you are not authorized for, you cannot run the application.

Have a nice day,

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
Liquidgeek
Contributor
Contributor

The problem isn’t that the shortcuts are not registering the problem is they are not unregistering. When thinreg registers the app associated with the security group all shortcuts appear as normal, when the user is taken away from the security group only the desktop icon is removed. To my knowledge and from what I’ve read when a user is not part of a security group associated with a thinapp the thinapp is completely unregistered but, it’s not there is still residue of the install located in ARP (Add/Remove Program list) and the start menu which makes it difficult to assign the app to the user again in the future. Because the shortcut to the start menu and ARP still exist the desktop shortcut doesn’t appear when the user is reassigned to the security group although permissions are applied. In order to get the desktop shortcut to reappear I need to add the /r switch in the GPO for thinreg to reregister the app but, that takes time and the residue of a removed app in the start menu and ARP is very sloppy and confusing to the user. i guess my question is why is the ARP and start menu shortcut not being removed with the desktop shortcut? When I manually uninstall the thinapp from the ARP all shortcuts are removed and there is no residue of the app being installed.

0 Kudos
Liquidgeek
Contributor
Contributor

The problem isn’t that the shortcuts are not registering the problem is they are not unregistering. When thinreg registers the app associated with the security group all shortcuts appear as normal, when the user is taken away from the security group only the desktop icon is removed. To my knowledge and from what I’ve read when a user is not part of a security group associated with a thinapp the thinapp is completely unregistered but, it’s not there is still residue of the install located in ARP (Add/Remove Program list) and the start menu which makes it difficult to assign the app to the user again in the future. Because the shortcut to the start menu and ARP still exist the desktop shortcut doesn’t appear when the user is reassigned to the security group although permissions are applied. In order to get the desktop shortcut to reappear I need to add the /r switch in the GPO for thinreg to reregister the app but, that takes time and the residue of a removed app in the start menu and ARP is very sloppy and confusing to the user. i guess my question is why is the ARP and start menu shortcut not being removed with the desktop shortcut? When I manually uninstall the thinapp from the ARP all shortcuts are removed and there is no residue of the app being installed.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Can you, please, attach Package.ini file?

0 Kudos
Liquidgeek
Contributor
Contributor

Attached is the ini file.

0 Kudos
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

I think your problem is similar to the one in the thread at http://communities.vmware.com/thread/427515?tstart=0 i.e. you remove the user from the access group and the unregister doesn't happen when he logs in, right? I replied to the mentioned thread and the solution worked for them, I think you too should try out the suggestion.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Liquidgeek
Contributor
Contributor

I read the thread but it doesn’t fix the issue, if the uninstall script isn’t being generated then how can I fix this?

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Have you tried older version of Thinapp? 4.7.2?

0 Kudos
Liquidgeek
Contributor
Contributor

No, will using an older version fix the issue I'm experiencing? If so I'll get it tomorrow. Why would the latest version of the app not function better that the older version? What's different that in the latest version that it doesn't create this uninstall vbs? Is there a manual way of setting up that vbs?

Sent from my HTC One™ S on T-Mobile. America’s First Nationwide 4G Network.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Maybe it's a bug.

0 Kudos