VMware Horizon Community
girakul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thinning Google Chrome

I tried thinning this one, but am getting an error after which the browser just hangs...  "The system cannot find the file specified"...

Anyone had success with it? I checked these notes but they don't help...

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-17501

0 Kudos
25 Replies
solgaeDK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If anyone's interested, here's how I thinapp'ed it, and it works with extensions....with some caveats.

I used the guide from this link: http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-19923.

Additional process I performed:

1. After Post-Scan, open the project folder and open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.txt using Notepad.

2. At the end of the file, add the following entry:

isolation_full HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Update

Value=DisableAutoUpdateChecksCheckboxValue

REG_DWORD=#01#00#00#00

3. Save the file and exit Notepad.

4. Go to %ProgramFilesDir%\Google\Chrome\Application

5. Open the folder with the build number.

6. Delete the folder that holds the installer file. This should reduce the package size greatly.

7. Go to %ProgramFilesDir%\Google\Update and delete any cached setup files.

8. Build.

Surprisingly, extensions work well for me - I installed LastPass, Adblock Plus, and Click & Clean. The caveat is: after installing an extension, any existing extensions will crash. Just click on the pop-up to re-run the extension and it will be fine. All your extension install files should go to your sandbox directory.

I hope GoogleUpdate issue can be fixed though - Google Chrome update cycle is too rapid to keep updating and re-packaging.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot solgaeDK for your efforts in helping, much appreciated.

0 Kudos
LukeRobertson
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've been able to ThinApp Chrome but when I visit any page with flash on it I receive a message box error that says "unable to open or cerate registry map" and the title bar of the message box says "\Sessions\1\BaseNamedObjects\{BlahBlahBlah}"  where BlahBlahBlah are different random characters everytime.  See the attached image for a screen grab of the error box.

I followed the instrutions on http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-19923 and it didn't alleviate the problem. I'm using a Win 7 capture machine with ThinApp 4.7.2 and the Chrome Offline Installer for Version 23.0.1271.97.

If anyone has seen this issue and has a resolution I would greatly appreciate it.

0 Kudos
wilsonad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I have successfully thinapped the Enterprise version but have something strange going on.  After I am done thinapp'ing I run the thinapp on my computer and it runs just fine.  When I copy it up to a network share I chrome throws me an error; "The system cannot find the file specified". 

Not sure why this would be any different, anyone have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Are you copying the entire 'bin' folder content to the network share?

0 Kudos
wilsonad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes.

0 Kudos