VMware Horizon Community
el1971
Expert
Expert

Thindirect always tries to thindirect a specific site in a thinapped Browser

Hello,

I've a native IE8 browser that starts Thindirect to an virtual IE8 browser when typing a specific URL.  Now this specific browser tries to do the same as the URL is told to be thindirected and it goes on like this. Is there a way to stop thindirect in a virtual browser?

Kind regards,

Edi

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Edi,

You mean typing the redirected URL in the ThinApp'd IE 8 launches another instance of IE 8 ThinApp?

0 Kudos
el1971
Expert
Expert

Yes, that's the case. You imagine the mess.... :smileydevil:. Virtual IE8 was captured with Thinapp 4.7.2

-- Edi

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Can you confirm what is the default browser - Native IE 8 or Virtual IE 8 please.

Could you try setting Native IE 8 as the default browser and check again?

Lakshman
Champion
Champion

I have just tested this behavior but i could not able to reproduce the issue you are seeing.

My test environment is Windows XP SP3 with IE 8 natively installed (default browser). I have installed IE 8 ThinApp MSI with redirection.

0 Kudos
el1971
Expert
Expert

The native IE8 is the default browser. Redirection was done by Local Group Policy (gpedit.msc) and it seems that the virtual IE8 uses the same local policy.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

To confirm the issue is with Group policy, could you try registering the IE 8 ThinApp either by using MSI or ThinReg (with no Group policy) and check the behavior please.

el1971
Expert
Expert

I'll try to do as you mention and let you know the results.

cu,

Edi

0 Kudos
el1971
Expert
Expert

Hi,

when using thinreg and thindirect.txt in the project folder the problem does not appear to occur. Using the thindirect.adm template for group policy use makes the problem appear so there must be a bug with Thinapp 4.7.2 and Group Policy.

Another thing I noticed is that when I deregistered the Virtual Browser with thinreg the <virtual browser>.txt file remains in the thindirect folder making Thindirect starting the virtual browser although un-registered. Manually deleting the file solves the problem but this should be done automatically.

Could you please raise the problem being a bug to the VMware Team?

Kind regards,

Edi

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Edi,

Thanks for reporting the issue with 4.7.2. I will double check the same and raise a bug with ThinApp team if it is reproducible.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Is it possible to check with 4.7.1 for the issues you reported?

0 Kudos
PSK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

PF: Win 7 SP1

Native IE version: 8

Thinapped IE version: 8

* I attempted on my env to reproduce, I had used thindirect.adm in local group policy. When I tried to launch thindirect url in native, the native IE8 closes and the thinapped IE8 launches the site.(thindirect works)

I typed the thindirect url in thinapped version of IE8 and didn't see any redirection.

* After removing the thinapped IE8 from add/remove pgms, I still found the redirection working, as you said I need to manually remove the <virtual browser>.txt from thindirect folder to solve this issue.

Thanks,

Suresh

0 Kudos