VMware Horizon Community
Restec
Contributor
Contributor

Thinapp printing problem with windows7 64bits

Hi,

I've virtualize my app and it works fine under Win XP and Win 7 32bits but I get printer errors with Win 7 64bits.

I'm using Thinapp 4.6.1.

I've tried with and without the folder %SystemSystem%\spool.

Do you have any Idea why?

Is the printing system under windows 7 64bits that different from Win 7 32bits?

Need help ASAP!

TIA

Rene Lafontaine

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Cievo
Commander
Commander

It would be perfect if you specify "printer errors" more closely :smileymischief:

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

ThinApp cannot virtualize driver components. Can you try installing the drivers locally on WIN7 64 machine and check pls.

0 Kudos
Restec
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

The more I try, the more I get confuse!!!

My App is a "document imaging software" using ActiveX running under IE6.  There are no special drivers needed to print any document.

The ActiveX use to call the printer gives me an error, even more strange, if I delete the sandbox, get back in my app and try to print a document, it works for that document only, if I try to print another one I get the error.  I get out of my app, get back in, without removing the sandbox, and no success I can't print.

Would a trace by of any help?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Can you, please, post directory structure of your project(dir command)? I think it has to do something with temporary files and isolation mode.

Can you, please, send us dir /s from your "broken" sandbox directory?

0 Kudos
Restec
Contributor
Contributor

Here it is.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Can you, please, browse into C:\Users\demo\AppData\Roaming\Thinstall\FaltecGED\%drive_C%\FaltecImageWin\images and look if those pictures are those you need to be able to print?

Can you, pleaes, do dir /s also in your project directory?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Restec
Contributor
Contributor

No those are not the images I need to print.  The images are downloaded from a intranet web server via an ActiveX using the ftp protocal.

And they are downloaded into the "C:\Users\demo\AppData\Roaming\Thinstall\FaltecGED\%drive_C%\FaltecImageWin\Recherche" dir structure.

If "Recherche" is not present the ActiveX creates it.

Here is the project dir.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Not sure if this will help. Can you try enabling WOW64 in the package.ini and check?

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102131...

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

In your project directory go to directory %drive_C%\FaltecImageWin\Recherche and edit file ##Attributes.ini to look like following:

[Isolation]
DirectoryIsolationMode=Merged

Rebuild project, delete Sandbox directory "C:\Users\demo\AppData\Roaming\Thinstall\FaltecGED" and try application again.

0 Kudos
Restec
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Tried:

Wow64=0

UACRequestedPrivilegesLevel=requireAdministrator

Much more stable but still can't print.

0 Kudos
Restec
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

What I did is that I removed all ##Atributes files from all subfolders in \%drive_C%\FaltecImageWin.

And modfied \%drive_C%\FaltecImageWin\##Atributes for "DirectoryIsolationMode=Merged"

I can't print but now the error I get this:  err # 482 PrindDoc

Tried also to use a usb scanner and I get a twain error. "connection impossible"

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Have you also deleted Sandbox when tested?

0 Kudos
Restec
Contributor
Contributor

yes I did delete the "sandbox"

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

What program are we talking about? Is it some kind of freeware? 

0 Kudos
Restec
Contributor
Contributor

It's our document imaging software, build with third party ActiveX and running under IE6.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

1. Can you install the native application (not ThinApp) on Windows 7 64 and check if print works?

2. Can you run the ThinApp Log monitor tool on Win7 64 and look at the log trace? You may check the section 'Potential errors detected' at the bottom of the log.

0 Kudos
Restec
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

No I can't install it directly on Win7 It only runs with IE6-7 and the ActiveX won't load.

I'll try the log monitor and get back to you.

Thanks,

0 Kudos