VMware Horizon Community
chrisdoyle
Contributor
Contributor

Thinapp of SQL 2008 Report builder v2 or 3

Hello

When I thinapp MS SQL 2008 Report builder v2 or 3 it builds just fine. It's built on a WINXP SP3 base image (with only dotnet 3.5 installed). When it runs as a thin app it comes up with a csc.exe application error (which I know related to dotnet)

This has to be ok'd about 5 times then it loads just fine. Makes no difference whether I completely sandbox it or allow it to interact with the OS - ditto regardless whether I create an MSI etc.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

A thinapp newbie

0 Kudos
16 Replies
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is your capture system and the system where you execute this application is same? If not than; have you captured .net with the application or has it installed in the target system.

What exact error it gives? you may want to search for that error inside the log file (can be generated with log monitor). Once located go up and see what API call failed.

0 Kudos
chrisdoyle
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for replying.

The VM that I am creating the thinapp on has dotnet3.5 installed on. When I try it on another PC (which also has dotnet 3.5 installed) I get the error. Do you think I should try bundling dotnet into the build? Im just slightly wary of that as I have other apps to build which rely on dotnet 3.5 and users won't be getting both. That's why I thought it better to incorporate 3.5 into the base image of our pcs.

The exact error is csc.exe application error 0xc0000076 - I get this 5 or 6 times then can access the application.

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That should be fine. There is no need to bundle it if the target OS will always have .net installed. Now on the error, 0xc0000076 is  STATUS_INVALID_SUB_AUTHORITY, which most probably be related to user SID.

Is your target OS same, i.e. XP SP3 or is it some other varient? You may generate log monitor logs and search for 0xc0000076 in them. That will tell you what API has failed with this error and we may move further with that.

It is difficult to take a guess in such cases, you may also open a support  ticket with us.

0 Kudos
chrisdoyle
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Sorry I couldn't read my own writing. Attached is the error that comes up 3 or 4 times before the app loads.

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, so this error is STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_FORMAT. Have you installed the exact same version of .net in target systems. Generate your logs and post here.

0 Kudos
chrisdoyle
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Im sorry Im a bit of a beginner at this thinapp business. Which logs do you mean / how do I get them?

Thanks for your patience!

Chris

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>>Which logs do you mean / how do I get them?

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/331085?tstart=0

check Pankaj's post (number 4 from top)

0 Kudos
chrisdoyle
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much - I shall have a go ASAP. This might be a stupid question but here goes - would I be collecting these logs on the VM where I've built the app or on the machines where I've tested it and am getting the error?

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You will collect these app where you are executing these ThinApped application. machine where you have deployed it.

0 Kudos
chrisdoyle
Contributor
Contributor

So that means I need to install the thinapp software on another PC? I've only got three licenses for it. If I put it on, run the app, collect the logs then uninstall then that'd be fine yes?

0 Kudos
chrisdoyle
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure I've done this right. I've got two logs (I stopped as soon as I got the first error). One trace is over 400MB and the other 500KB. I've exported them to text files - one is 800MB! and the other is 748KB

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, you did correctly.

The bigger file is what contains relevent information, open that and search for "potential error", copy paste that complete section to a file and upload that file here.

0 Kudos
chrisdoyle
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

That 800mb file just kept hanging my pc so I re-ran the trace and suspended as soon as it errored the first time. Attached is the Potential Errors section!

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
chrisdoyle
Contributor
Contributor

If I run the thinapp on a windows 7 pc with just dotnet 4 on, it works just fine. The VM I used to make the thinapp has dotnet 1.1>>3.5 SP1 on as does the one Im trying the thinapp on (the one the logs are from).

Cheers

Chris

0 Kudos
poshweasel2000
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

This may or may not help people as im new to ThinApping myself.

I have just ThinApp'd SQL Report Builder 3.0 on .net 4.0, the main gotcha I found was:

When I started the app the main service it needed "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0" failed to startup, I had to add a script to manually start and stop this service as part of the package.

This generated a similar error to the one you posted.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Can you try adding the below line in the package.ini under [BuildOptions] please. Make sure to rebuild the ThinApp by running build.bat

ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions=PresentationFontCache.exe

0 Kudos