VMware Horizon Community
rklein
Contributor
Contributor

Thinapp'd application only works on the OS it was thinapp'd on.

I've thinapp'd an Thompson Elite package called Elite Enterprise which is commonly used in law firms. It was thinapp'd on clean vms with 4.5. If thinapp'd on XP it will only run on XP machines. If thinapped on Windows 7 it'll only run on windows 7 machines.

Any ideas were to start troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor

I seem to be having the same issue. Although I just started trying this out a few days ago.

Only my apps made in Windows 7 will work as a Windows 7 ThinApp. If I try running a XP thinapp on W7 it just sits there, with no app, and no error message.

0 Kudos
m_golfieri
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I've built capsule on windows 2000 and it works with 2000 to 7 (some bugs on 2000, perfect on the other).

The problem could be inside the dependency you install with your application.

Example:

Your application need MDAC 2.8

You capture your application setup that install also MDAC 2.8

You run your application on windows 7 and it fails. This is normally: MDAC 2.8 for windows 2000 is different on XP, Vista and 7.

The solution is to create a packed MDAC 2.8 and the pack your application separately (enable OptionalAppLinks in package.ini)

After that if you run it on windows 2000 you have to copy also the MDAC packet. If you run on Windows 7 don't copy MDAC packed.

Mirko

0 Kudos
Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor

Tried that, didn't work. This happens when I run XP app in Win7:

9190_9190.png

0 Kudos
m_golfieri
Contributor
Contributor

And you use ThinApp 4.5 ?

Bye

0 Kudos
Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.

0 Kudos
m_golfieri
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual cmd.exe and regedit.exe works fine?

What about windows 2003 , Vista and 2008 ?

Mirko

0 Kudos
Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor

In Windows 2003 Standard, the splash screen comes up for the App but it disappears with no error message.

In Windows 2008 R2 Standard I get the same result as Win7.

This only works in XP.

I didn't try cmd or regedit. How is that going to help?

0 Kudos
m_golfieri
Contributor
Contributor

cmd or regedit only to test that capsule open and close correctly in windows 7.

The fact that 2008 and 7 have the same error remember me the behaviour of thinapp 4.04

About XP, capsule works fine on a clean XP or you made the test only where you have captured the application?

Now I'm going home.

See you

0 Kudos
Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, I tried it on another XP and it didn't work. I need to test more.

0 Kudos
Ken_Mc
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a different app that I can confirm will only work in XP, when built in XP. But will work in Win7 when built in Win7.

9191_9191.png

The Raiser's Edge. It also run's a little tray icon (for authentication), I would bet that has something to do with it. It does not shut down when the app does.

0 Kudos
RamHeelz
Contributor
Contributor

We're preparing to deploy Windows 7x64 within our law firm. We currently run Elite Enterprise 3.5 which will not install properly on Windows 7. We're evaluating ThinApp as an option for running the app. I thinapp'd Enterprise on a clean Windows XP vm and all went went smoothly. Like you though, the thinapp package will not run properly on a Windows 7 machine. The app opens and connects ok, but when you try to load a module...ie..Report Manager...it hangs at the "Loading Controls" stage. Have you had any luck sorting this out?

0 Kudos
ljyoung38
Contributor
Contributor

I had a simular issue trying to create a Thinapp package of IE7 on XP then trying to run it on Windows 7x64. This issue was exactly that...packaging on XP which is 32bit and run on a 64 bit OS. Resolution....I packaged IE 7 on Windows server 2003x64 and now I can run IE7 within Windows 7x64 along side IE8. The only issue is when I execute the IE7 package on Windows 7x64 I must right-click and choose "run as administrator. I hope this helps

0 Kudos
scottjones74
Contributor
Contributor

Ken,

What did you do to get RE to work?  I have tried to thinapp it and I walk through all the steps like I have my other applications, choosing RE7.exe as the entry point , but it doesn't even show up on my vm desktops.  View administrator shows it as being installed on the desktops, but it doesn't show up.  None of my other apps have had trouble so far...

any help is appreciated

0 Kudos