VMware Horizon Community
mikrowiz
Contributor
Contributor

Thinapp - Spatial Analyzer

I'm attempting to Thinapp Spatial Analyzer made by New River Kinematics.  Seeing how they release a new version every couple of months, it would be spledid to just do a side-by-side update using a Thinapp package.  The packaging goes smoothly and runs swell on Windows XP, but when attempting to run it on Windows 7 it crashes prior to launch and the Windows event log shows errors in faulting modules ntdll.dl and user32.dll on both 32 and 64 bit versions of Win7.

Windows 7 x64 is the most typical place this package would need to be run, so I also tried packaging it on a clean Windows 7 x64 machine.  Results are the same though. The 32-bit version of this application runs fine installed natively on both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows 7.

Any suggestion on how to get beyond this?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Have you tried packaging on Win7 32 bit? Try launching the application before postscan to make sure it works.

0 Kudos
mikrowiz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.  I tried this configuration too.  Installed on a clean Windows 7 32 bit VM.  The application ran fine.  Ran the post-scan and packaged it up.  Same results.  Ntdll.dll and User32.dll throw faults.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

What is the version of ThinApp used?

0 Kudos
mikrowiz
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Is there a trial version available for download and check myself?

0 Kudos
mikrowiz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, actually there is.  You can find it at the link below.  That would be great.  Being fairly new to Thinapp, I've tried everything I know of to try to get it to work.  The application works fine natively on Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit), but I just can't get it to run Thinapp'd.  Works fine on XP, but that isn't horribly useful to me since we have few XP workstations left that need to run this application.  Thanks for spending the time!

http://www.kinematics.com/products/spatialanalyzer/download-software.html

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

I have downloaded the trial and gave a try. Here are my findings:

1. The application installs a driver component (Sentinel Hardware Driver) that cannot be virtualized

2. There are few kernelmode components installed that are not compatible

SpatialAnalyzer2.png

mikrowiz
Contributor
Contributor

I guess I failed to tell you that we only want to virtualize it without the sentinel driver.  Most people don't need that, because they're not generating data, just consuming it.  Without that selected, I've never seen the kernelmode component warnings that you show during capture.  Also, I know it can be virtualized, because it works on XP, it just can't be virtualized on Win 7 for some reason.

Did you try it without the sentinel driver?  Just curious.  I appreciate the try anyway.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Yes i tried with and without the driver but the result is same - ThinApp fails to launch on Win 7.

The kernelmode components were seen while packaging on Win 7.

0 Kudos
mikrowiz
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting.  I didn't see any kernelmode warnings when I packaged on Win7.  Anyways, thanks for trying.  I guess I'll give up.  I'll give you a "helpful" for spending the time to verify.  Thanks for the effort.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Thanks. I would request you to file a service request with VMware so that our Engineers can look into the issue in detail.

0 Kudos