VMware Horizon Community
Steve661
Contributor
Contributor

Thinapp - IBM SPSS Statistics v19.0 launch performance issue

I have Thinapped IBM SPSS Statistics v19.0 with SPSS Smart Reader. The build is compressed, the content of the %Installer% project folder has been removed (except for icon files). The compiled DAT file is 1.1GB in size. The Thinapp application takes over 3 minutes to launch.

I am streaming the Thinapp to our Windows 7 desktop pool from a SAN CIFS share over a 1GB network link. Other applications are launching much quicker, even when the DAT file is this large. When the application finally launches, usage performance is okay.

Are there any tips for incresing the launch speed of Thinapps? I have only seen articles relating relating to removing DLL file links in MS Office etc.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you tried the turning off the compression version (i.e. setting Compression=None in package.ini and rebuilding)? That might have some good impact.

Thanks.

Steve661
Contributor
Contributor

I will give that a try. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Steve661
Contributor
Contributor

Compression=None does not improve the launch speed I am afraid.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Is it really necesary to have 1.1 GB package? Is it really that huge?

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
Steve661
Contributor
Contributor

Afraid so. There is no custom install option. The majority of the data sits in the program files folder.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

1. Any improvements in the launch time of second and further launches? 

2. Could you try running the ThinApp locally and check the launch time please.

I have packaged SPSS v21 that takes less than a minute to launch locally with .DAT file size of 900 MB.

0 Kudos
speedjunk80
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

We have the same problems, starting the ThinApp takes about one minute.

Is there someone who launches the SPSS thinapp from a network share less then a minute?

Thx

0 Kudos