VMware Horizon Community
craig_parry
Contributor
Contributor

ThinReg only working for some applications;

I have recently started capturing applications and registering via thinreg, but only about half of the programs seem to register correctly. They all show up in Add\Remove programs, but only about half create the necessary start menu items and desktop shortcuts. If I run the thinapps directly they work fine, they just don't seem to thinreg correctly. I have captured all sorts of things so far, even SQL management studio and this works fine, but some of the other apps just don't register correctly.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards... Craig.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Have you tried to look into Package.ini file for lines FileTypes? There are defined extensions that should be assigned with executables when registering app.

For examle for Word in Office 2003 I have there:

http://Microsoft Office Word 2003.exe

Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE

Shortcut=office.dat

Icon=%SystemRoot%\Installer\{9012041B-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}\wordicon.exe

FileTypes=.doc.dochtml.docm.docx.dot.dothtml.rtf.wbk

Shortcuts=%Programs%\Microsoft Office

And here is documentation.

If you have those extensions and it doesn't work correctly, then IMHO you should report this to ThinApp team to fix it.

Ondrej Zilinec - Cievo

...Good question is half of the answer...

***Good question is half of the answer...***
Brandon_Sanders
Contributor
Contributor

In the package.ini file, under the application entry points, verify that you have the shortcut locations defined which you would like registered.

For example, take an Internet Explorer 6 ThinApp package, in "Package.ini" scroll to the desired entry point.

For this example it would be "[Internet Explorer 6.exe]

You'll see the "Source" and "ReadOnlyData" parameters with their defined variables.

Ensure that a parameter exists for "Shortcuts" or that it is not commented out with a semicolon at the beginning of the line.

If you defined "Shortcuts=%Desktops%;%Programs%" (without quotes), then ThinReg will place icons in the desktop and programs menu.

You can define explicit paths or use system variables for this parameter.

Hope this helps...

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Can you, please, attach Package.ini file of aplication that you have problem with? And describe where you want shortcuts to be placed.

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos