VMware Horizon Community
DanielleW
Contributor
Contributor

ThinApping Sage Fixed Assets FAS 100

I am trying to ThinApp Sage Fixed Assets FAS 100 - after the postscan, I run the ThinApped application, it tried to launch but then errors out with:

dw.png

I tried installing this prior to ThinApping and it wont install unless it is being pulled from the same network that the DB is on. It installs fine alone, but when I ThinApp it, I get multiple error (shown above) - it is trying to register the DLLs but that was done during the install. HELP!! This is being done on a clean VM.

0 Kudos
46 Replies
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Danielle,

- Try using "Run As Administrator" while launching the application. See if that works.

- Also, can you try loading the SageCommmon.dll from the system, i.e. copy this dll to the system at the said path (the path mentioned in the message box, you might have to create some folders manually), and then use ExternalDLLs package.ini setting, rebuild the project, and then try launching normally.

Thanks.

Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

>>- Also, can you try loading the SageCommmon.dll from the system, i.e. copy this dll to the system at the said path (the path mentioned in the message box, you might have to create some folders manually), and then use ExternalDLLs package.ini setting, rebuild the project, and then try launching normally.

My bad, actually, you don't need to copy the SageCommon.dll to the syetm for trying out ExternalDLLs setting, just add: "ExternalDLLs=Sage.Common.dll" to the package.ini and rebuild the project and try it out. It seems to me that some Windows API like GetFileSecurity is failing with access denied error, and if you load it through Windows (setting ExternalDLLs does that) instead of ThinApp loading it, this error usually goes away.

Thanks.

DanielleW
Contributor
Contributor

Well that seemed to resolve those issues, but a whole different set of .dll errors appeared afterwards. they all seem to be in the same directory. Do I really need to manually enter all of them, can I replace each .ddl file with the entire path if I find that it needs them all?

0 Kudos
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

>>Do I really need to manually enter all of them, can I replace each .ddl file with the entire path if I find that it needs them all?

Yeah, as per the current implementation you will have to mention each of the .dll files against the ExternalDLLs setting, path can't be specified. I know it's kind of an inconvenience.

Once you specifiy all the dlls names, and rebuild, does this lead to smooth operation?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanielleW
Contributor
Contributor

No it does not. I manually have to add this to the Package.ini file:

ExternalDLLs=Sage.Common.dll;Sage.Common.Amendability.dll;Sage.Common.Controls.dll;Sage.Common.Design.dll;Sage.Common.Integration.dll;Sage.Common.Interop.dll;Sage.Common.Printing.dll;Sage.Common.ScriptEngine.dll;Sage.Common.UI.dll;BouncyCastle.Crypto.dll;ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll

Then the install runs through, and gives this error:

ab.png

Researching that error now. From other forums, this application is a tricky one...

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

You fixed DLLs Smiley Happy

Can you, please, attach Package.ini file into this post thread? I think application uses some service and you didn't register service into OS. So virtualized service is not started and application cannot contact it.

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
DanielleW
Contributor
Contributor

; This file can be used to configure build and runtime options for packages
; Lines that begin with a semicolon contain only comments and do not have any effect
; For documentation and to obtain a complete list of options available visit:
;
;   http://www.vmware.com/info?id=906
;
[Compression]
CompressionType=None

[Isolation]
DirectoryIsolationMode=Merged

[BuildOptions]
;-------- DLLS -----------
ExternalDLLs=Sage.Common.dll;Sage.Common.Amendability.dll;Sage.Common.Controls.dll;Sage.Common.Design.dll;Sage.Common.Integration.dll;Sage.Common.Interop.dll;Sage.Common.Printing.dll;Sage.Common.ScriptEngine.dll;Sage.Common.UI.dll;BouncyCastle.Crypto.dll;ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll

;-------- MSI Parameters ----------
;Enable MSIFilename if you want to generate a Windows Installer package.
;MSIFilename=Sage Fixed Assets - Depreciation - Network.msi
;MSIManufacturer=Unknown
;MSIProductVersion=1.0
;MSIDefaultInstallAllUsers=1
;MSIRequireElevatedPrivileges=1
;MSIInstallDirectory=Sage Fixed Assets - Depreciation - Network (VMware ThinApp)
;MSIProductCode={A6BC2E36-135C-7585-A3D2-B497A44BD968}
;MSIUpgradeCode={AF7B169B-B0FB-AD55-CC0E-B61586BB5865}
;MSIStreaming=0
;MSICompressionType=Fast
;MSIArpProductIcon=%SystemRoot%\Installer\{06451064-59B6-4578-B5A4-C0A880C66D28}\ARPPRODUCTICON.exe

;-------- AppSync Parameters ----------
;AppSyncURL=https://example.com/some/path/PackageName.exe
;AppSyncUpdateFrequency=1d
;AppSyncExpirePeriod=30d
;AppSyncWarningPeriod=5d
;AppSyncWarningFrequency=1d
;AppSyncWarningMessage=This application will become unavailable for use in %remaining_days% day(s) if it cannot contact its update server. Check your network connection to ensure uninterrupted service.
;AppSyncExpireMessage=This application has been unable to contact its update server for %expire_days% day(s), so it is unavailable for use. Check your network connection and try again.
;AppSyncUpdatedMessage=
;AppSyncClearSandboxOnUpdate=0

;-------- Parameters used only during Setup Capture  ----------
AccessDeniedMsg=You are not currently authorized to run this application. Please contact your administrator.
CapturedUsingVersion=4.7.2-771812
OutDir=bin

;-------- General Purpose Parameters  ----------
SandboxName=Sage Fixed Assets - Depreciation - Network
InventoryName=Sage Fixed Assets - Depreciation - Network
InventoryIcon=%SystemRoot%\Installer\{06451064-59B6-4578-B5A4-C0A880C66D28}\ARPPRODUCTICON.exe
;PermittedGroups=Administrators;Remote Desktop Users
;RemoveSandboxOnExit=1
;RemoveSandboxOnStart=1
;SandboxNetworkDrives=1
;SandboxRemovableDisk=1
;VirtualizeExternalOutOfProcessCOM=0

;OptionalAppLinks=plugins\*.exe
;RequiredAppLinks=\\server\share\*.exe;c:\abs\path\file.exe
VirtualDrives=Drive=c, Serial=88532ce0, Type=FIXED
;VirtualDrives=Drive=a, Serial=0018d294, Type=REMOVABLE; Drive=c, Serial=88532ce0, Type=FIXED; Drive=d, Serial=88532ce0, Type=CDROM
;VirtualComputerName=WIN-D1ROEQ9778G

AnsiCodePage=1252
LocaleIdentifier=1033
LocaleName=en-US

; If you have problems running a 32 bit application under 64 bit Windows, try enabling this line before building the project
;Wow64=0

; Enable this option to load .Net binaries from the system instead of the package on Windows 7
;LoadDotNetFromSystem=Win7

QualityReportingEnabled=1

; Enable this option to ignore DDE messages from external processes
;IgnoreDDEMessages=1

[Sage Fixed Assets - Depreciation - Network.dat]
Source=%Program Files Common%\Sage SBD\SBDDesktop.exe
;Change ReadOnlyData to bin\Package.ro.tvr to build with old versions(4.6.0 or earlier) of tools
ReadOnlyData=Package.ro.tvr
MetaDataContainerOnly=1

[Depreciation - Network.exe]
Shortcut=Sage Fixed Assets - Depreciation - Network.dat
WorkingDirectory=%ProgramFilesDir%\SageFAS\FAS Asset Accounting Client\
CommandLine="%Program Files Common%\Sage SBD\SBDDesktop.exe"  {A376BD05-9A97-3F53-97F5-FA36A4569F56} -SBDSingleApp -SBDSplash="FAACOM100WNE.BMP"
Icon=%SystemRoot%\Installer\{06451064-59B6-4578-B5A4-C0A880C66D28}\NewShortcut8_DA1EED07CB764590BDD7C975ED7D8937.exe
Shortcuts=%Desktop%

[Reporting.exe]
Disabled=1
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\SageFAS\Common Files\RptwtCrw.exe
Icon=%SystemRoot%\Installer\{06451064-59B6-4578-B5A4-C0A880C66D28}\FASRPTWTRShortcut_876A7A7BF4664FB6B5695CDF34ED5892.exe
Shortcuts=%Programs%\Sage Fixed Assets

[Depreciation - Network (1).exe]
Disabled=1
CommandLine="%Program Files Common%\Sage SBD\SBDDesktop.exe"  {A376BD05-9A97-3F53-97F5-FA36A4569F56} -SBDSingleApp -SBDSplash="FAACOM100WNE.BMP"
Icon=%SystemRoot%\Installer\{06451064-59B6-4578-B5A4-C0A880C66D28}\NewShortcut7_0A39A16C3BBE4D3988762D6094877F26.exe
Shortcuts=%Programs%\Sage Fixed Assets

[fcaviewer.exe]
Disabled=1
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\SageFAS\FCA\fcaviewer.exe
ObjectTypes=fcaviewer.CFcaViewerMgr

[GLLINK32.exe]
Disabled=1
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\SageFAS\GL_Link\GLLINK32.exe
ObjectTypes=GLLINK.Document

[ARPPRODUCTICON.exe]
Source=%SystemRoot%\Installer\{06451064-59B6-4578-B5A4-C0A880C66D28}\ARPPRODUCTICON.exe
Disabled=1

[NewShortcut7_0A39A16C3BBE4D3988762D6094877F26.exe]
Source=%SystemRoot%\Installer\{06451064-59B6-4578-B5A4-C0A880C66D28}\NewShortcut7_0A39A16C3BBE4D3988762D6094877F26.exe
Disabled=1

[NewShortcut8_DA1EED07CB764590BDD7C975ED7D8937.exe]
Source=%SystemRoot%\Installer\{06451064-59B6-4578-B5A4-C0A880C66D28}\NewShortcut8_DA1EED07CB764590BDD7C975ED7D8937.exe
Disabled=1

[FASRPTWTRShortcut_876A7A7BF4664FB6B5695CDF34ED5892.exe]
Source=%SystemRoot%\Installer\{06451064-59B6-4578-B5A4-C0A880C66D28}\FASRPTWTRShortcut_876A7A7BF4664FB6B5695CDF34ED5892.exe
Disabled=1

[fca.exe]
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\SageFAS\FCA\fca.exe
Disabled=1

[dbping.exe]
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\SageFAS\Common Files\dbping.exe
Disabled=1

[RptwtCrw.exe]
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\SageFAS\Common Files\RptwtCrw.exe
Disabled=1

[fas.exe]
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\SageFAS\FAS Asset Accounting Client\fas.exe
Disabled=1

[FAS 100 Asset Accounting Client.exe]
Icon=%SystemRoot%\Installer\{06451064-59B6-4578-B5A4-C0A880C66D28}\NewShortcut8_DA1EED07CB764590BDD7C975ED7D8937.exe
Shortcuts=%ProgramFilesDir%\SageFAS\FAS Asset Accounting Client
Disabled=1

[SBDDesktop.exe]
Disabled=1

[Sage.SBD.Platform.Installation.SoftwareUpdates.UI.exe]
Source=%Program Files Common%\Sage SBD\Sage.SBD.Platform.Installation.SoftwareUpdates.UI.exe
Disabled=1

[setup.exe]
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\InstallShield Installation Information\{06451064-59B6-4578-B5A4-C0A880C66D28}\setup.exe
Disabled=1

[cmd.exe]
Source=%SystemSystem%\cmd.exe

[regedit.exe]
Source=%SystemRoot%\regedit.exe

Thank You. I am also looking into capturing this in the ThinApp Package:

In Registry Editor, navigate to:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSIServer

then change the DisplayName value to:

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe /V

Close registry editor, then register the installer by opening a command

prompt and running:

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe /regserver

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Please, ATTACH, file and do NOT copy and paste it here Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

My bad. I didn't read windows right Smiley Happy 

It says that Windows Installer sevice could not be contacted.

• Do you create MSI?
  • Have you tried just running thinapped application by running .exe entry points? What was a result?
  • Can you, please, write down steps you do when you try to virtualize application?

Thank you in advance,

0 Kudos
DanielleW
Contributor
Contributor

No I did not create an .msi.

I used the Sage Fixed Asset executable as an entry point.

0 Kudos
DanielleW
Contributor
Contributor

Steps:

• Run PreScan.
  • Install Sage Fixed Assets – FAS 100.
  • Open application to ensure functionality. Configure the database information; Startup Parameters are set to the server. The username and password fields are left blank because each user must enter their credentials.
  • Run PostScan.
  • Save the ThinApp file.
  • Test functionality of the ThinApped application.
  • DLL Errors encountered when running the ThinApped application:

• Revert the Snapshot.
  • Run PreScan.
  • Install Sage Fixed Assets – FAS 100.
  • Open application to ensure functionality. Configure the database information; Startup Parameters are set. The username and password fields are left blank because each user must enter their credentials.
  • Run PostScan.
  • Edit the Package.ini to include: ExternalDLLs=Sage.Common.dll;Sage.Common.Amendability.dll;Sage.Common.Controls.dll;Sage.Common.Design.dll;Sage.Common.Integration.dll;Sage.Common.Interop.dll;Sage.Common.Printing.dll;Sage.Common.ScriptEngine.dll;Sage.Common.UI.dll;BouncyCastle.Crypto.dll;ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.dll
  • Save the ThinApp file.
  • Test functionality of the ThinApped application.
  • Receive the Error 1719 Windows installer error.
  • Revert the Snapshot.
  • Now trying to enable the WOW64 line
0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Question is why would running entry point initiate Windows Installer? Are you missing something in package? :smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
DanielleW
Contributor
Contributor

That is what I am trying to figure out... It wants me to select the .dat which I did. but the results remain the same whether I choose the .dat file or the .exe

I am trying to package it as an .msi now. I attached the Package.ini file - it didnt appear as though I was missing anything..

0 Kudos
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Danielle,

I doesn't seem like packaging as .msi would help much here.

Cievo's point in the last comment is very relevant. I think we need to figure out that what exactly is the purpose of msiexec.exe's launch i.e. what component is missing in the package which leads to the Sage app thinking that something needs to be installed and consequent msiexec.exe launch. Once identified we can make modifications to the package (probably need to recapture it). One way to find this out is to look at the Log Monitor log files for this execution.

1. Launch Log Monitor

2. Launch the Sage entry point and wait for it to show the msiexec error 1719

3. Now click OK on the error and upload the resulting log files.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanielleW
Contributor
Contributor

I thought registering the .dlls would fix the issue, but apparently not. Ive uploaded the log file.

0 Kudos
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think your application has more than one issue i.e. dlls issue and then this installer related. Thanks for uploading the file for msiexec.exe. Can you please also upload all the other log monitor trace files created like the one for Sage process.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DanielleW
Contributor
Contributor

During configuration of the application It connects to a database on another server. But mapping to that server should resolve any issues per documentation, we've also installed from that location.. Not sure if that is causing an issue or not.

0 Kudos
DanielleW
Contributor
Contributor

That is the only log it is giving me....

0 Kudos
DanielleW
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure why it wont produce the Sage logs, that is all it gives when I run the thinapped package.. any ideas?

0 Kudos