VMware Horizon Community
NiedermK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ThinApp on Windows NT

Hello,

I have some issues with ThinApp Windows NT. And since the technical support didn't answer my request for 3 weeks, I'm going to try it this way.

So here's my problem:

According to the documentation of ThinApp Windows NT is supported, but every time I try to install ThinApp on the NT system a error shows up.

It says that: "SetFilePointerEx" can't be found in "KERNEL32.dll"

How can I fix this? Any clues ?

I'm using a vmware Player 4.0.4 build-744019  to simulate Windows NT 4.0.

The ThinApp version is VMware-ThinApp-Enterprise-4.7.2-771812

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Squidly_Man
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A ThinApp 4.x license should work on all versions of ThinApp 4.x.

As an example, if you look in ThinApp Factory, you have the option of building a ThinApp project with any 4.x version from 4.0.4 on (I believe). No license change is necessary.  This means you can do the same manually with a standalone copy of ThinApp on a clean Win NT 4 system and higher.

-Dean F. https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/identitymanager-pubs.html

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Is your application natively supported on Windows NT?

0 Kudos
NiedermK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess so, because previous versions of ThinApp worked on Windows NT systems.

There is also a other discussion on this forum about issues with ThinApp and NT but that didn't solve my problem.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1758654

I tryed to copy an installed version of ThinApp vorm XP to NT like they said but it didn't work....

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Guess you might have packaged the app on XP or later that is failing on NT due to missing system dlls.

Can you try capturing the application on Windows NT please?

0 Kudos
NiedermK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just downloaded the Install file for ThinApp from the VMware website and tried to install that file on the NT system.

And then the error appears. So I can't even pack a application on NT since I'm unable to install ThinApp.

My goal is to install ThinApp on the NT system to pack it as an executable file.

0 Kudos
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

hi,

Please refer to https://www.vmware.com/support/thinapp4/doc/releasenotes_thinapp472.html.

In that there exists this info under Known issues section.

ThinApp 4.7.2 is not supported on Windows NT4 operating system.

GURU

Views expressed in here are my own.
NiedermK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey thank you for the hint.

But i still have to pack a NT system... are there any other ways to do that? Maybe with an previous version of ThinApp ?

0 Kudos
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

You may try this

1. Lets take the thinapp4.0.4 GA build
2. Extract the contents of that exe as VMware-ThinApp-Enterprise-4.0.4-<buildno>.exe -extract c:\test\msi
3. In the MSI folder you would have the MSI of the file by name vmware-thinapp-4.0.4-<buildno>.msi.
4. Double click on the MSI and follow the required normal steps.

GURU

NiedermK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I was able to extract the msi and start the installation, but i havent got an licence key for the 4.0.4 version....

So I tryed the same with the 4.7.0 version with my licens key. I was able to install ThinApp but I can't execute the .exe files of that version in NT.

Is there any way VMware is going to give me an licence key for the 4.0.4 version ?

0 Kudos
kmgp
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

You may take the Sales/Support channel.

GURU

0 Kudos
Squidly_Man
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

A ThinApp 4.x license should work on all versions of ThinApp 4.x.

As an example, if you look in ThinApp Factory, you have the option of building a ThinApp project with any 4.x version from 4.0.4 on (I believe). No license change is necessary.  This means you can do the same manually with a standalone copy of ThinApp on a clean Win NT 4 system and higher.

-Dean F. https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/identitymanager-pubs.html
0 Kudos
NiedermK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much!

Now it works 🙂

0 Kudos