VMware Horizon Community
jimhoff32
Contributor
Contributor

ThinApp'd IE7, running on Windows 7 can't print

I've ThinApp'd IE7 on a fully patched, clean Windows XP SP3 VM.  Everything seems to work fine when using it on XP, however when I run it on a Windows 7 VM, I can't print within virtual IE7.  When I go to file > print, the print window blips and then goes away.  An error message pops up that says "An error occurred during this operation."  I've tried merged, writecopy isolation modes.  I've tried different things like removing the spool folder in the package, changing isolation modes on different registry keys / folders, etc...  however the issue persists.

A google search indicates that it may be an issue with "protected mode" in IE7, however disabling that doesn't fix the problem.  The trace file is long and there is a ton of info in there - pointing to a number of DLL's that "might" be causing the issue.  Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure where to go from here.

I'm supposed to be deploying this to our Virtual Desktop environment so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Have you tried to run application without "protected mode"?

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
jimhoff32
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I've turned it off both in the original IE7 package, as well as making the change in the package and using sbmerge to make the change permanent.  Either way, I still get the same error when trying to print.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Does it print when it runs in not "protected mode"?

Maybe you should look at the application via process monitor.

0 Kudos
jimhoff32
Contributor
Contributor

No, it doesn't matter if I turn off protected mode via the virtual or base broswer.  Same issue either way.  I've looked at process monitor however there are a ton of entries and it's calling a whole lot of DLL's.  I've attached the thinapp log monitor information that comes after the ----  Potential Errors Detected --- section.  Can you make any sense of it?

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Can you, please, use Process Monitor instead of Log Monitor?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645

0 Kudos
lukebal267
Contributor
Contributor

To get to print in Win7, I made sure that this was unchecked:

; If you have problems running a 32 bit application under 64 bit Windows, try enabling this line before building the project
;Wow64=0

I normally was turning this bit on, but have found that it broke printing for me in IE6 and Win7

0 Kudos