VMware Horizon Community
Badeby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ThinApp a shortcut on networkshare and native shortcut

Hello

I have two questions, I hope you can answer.

I have a lot of client computers who has Adobe Reader installed in the master image.

My problem is that, I would like to add the native Adobe Reader shortcut (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd.exe) to my project/package.ini. Can it be done?

My other question is that, I have an application on a network share (\\server\share\app.exe) - it's a portable application.

Can I make a ThinApp shortcut for that application?

For example:

[App.exe]

ReadOnlyData=bin\Package.ro.tvr

Source=\\server\share\app.exe ?

Icon=%ProgramFilesDir%\Folder\Ikoner\icon.ico

Shortcuts=%ProgramFilesDir\Folder\Programs

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
yuriv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Add the following to the package.ini

[Adobe Reader.exe]
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
CommandLine=%ProgramFilesDir%\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
Shortcut=<Package Source File>

So in my case I created an empty capture and added Adobe Reader (see attachment)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
yuriv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Add the following to the package.ini

[Adobe Reader.exe]
Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
CommandLine=%ProgramFilesDir%\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
Shortcut=<Package Source File>

So in my case I created an empty capture and added Adobe Reader (see attachment)

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can create Entry Points to pretty much anything (doesn't have to be executables). One thing to keep in mind is that the build machine must be able to verify the source of the Entry Point during build. But you do not have to have access to the real file. You can create a text file and name it ApplicationName.exe in the correct path and it will be accepted during build.

One important thing is WorkingDirectory= . Quite often when creating Entry Points to something located on a network share do you need to specify WorkingDirectory. If not specified will the location of the ThinApp package be the working directory.

Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Maybe one more reminder that if you do shortcuts to native applications, those, when they run, will see all virtual environment (they will run in virtutal bubble) unless you define it explicitly no to.

I don't know who yould use this. In my experiences opossite was needed. Virtualized application was about 2.5GB of datacontainer size and application was starting by running .bat file. This .bat file has about 500 REG (changing some registry keys) lines in it (it was designed like this and not willing to change) and this application was starting forever. Problem was that every REG line was opening huge list of virtualized registries and files and looking through them. This was not acceptable from customer, so we had to say, that external command would run out of virtual bubble. It was just a remark Smiley Happy

***Good question is half of the answer...***
Badeby
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for all your answers. It was very helpful!

Have a nice weekend Smiley Happy

0 Kudos