VMware Horizon Community
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ThinApp XP Base Image

When creating ThinApps can I have peoples views on what base level of XP should be used? I.e Should you install any service packs, MS patches etc.

The reason I ask is that in my company we all use the exact same XP image that has a set number of components installed including Microsoft Office for example. Why wouldn't we just use this image as our base and what are the risks in using it as opposed to a bare bones install of XP?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

It is recommended to use a clean XP machine (just OS and service pack 3 or above) on the build machine.

Using the base image with other applications installed may have issues. Some of the files (eg: system dlls) that are already installed will not be captured correctly if the application capturing installs the same files.

0 Kudos
IP2008
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just wanted to know the risks of using our company image instead?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

It may cause conflicts during the capture and build process as the postcan will pick up only those changes that were done to the system. As told before, any existing file (installed by any applications on the base image) will not be captured if the application tries installing the same file.

In case the application has dependency (Java or .NET) that are available on the base image, and the ThinApp package look for those dependencies on the host OS, you may try using the base image.

0 Kudos
Squidly_Man
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Per the ThinApp User Guide and ThinApp Blog articles, a Clean PC of your lowest common OS is recommended to start with.  However, it may not always be the case.  See the ThinApp Blog article, 'What do you mean by "Clean PC"' for a good description of what your capture and build VM should be.

Hope this helps!

-Dean F. https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/identitymanager-pubs.html
0 Kudos