VMware Horizon Community
JAY4VMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ThinApp MS project and MS Visio 2010

Hello,

I have issues in MS visio and MS project 2010 ThinApp.

I need to Thinapp these applications and activate using kms key. I am not sure how to activate this or link with the kms server. But my domain admin said that kms server is up for our environment. Can some one help me on how to thinapp these apps.

After doing prescan , if I open the application, the application shows its not activated, and if I enter the kms key, it says the product key as invalid.

Only the mak key works for me and if I Thinapp the application using MAK key , it doesnt work when I move the files to network drive and open from different machine. It says it can not verify the license. FYI i am using windows 7 machine to thinapp.

Can you post the steps in detail for these two applications, and activation using kms server.

I got confused in seeing all the blogs about these applications Smiley Happy

my email id is jngade@dsu.edu

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you copied the additional text entries to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.txt?

Please see this KB article for more details:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1022287

0 Kudos
btrabue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I got it to work.  I was not paying attention and somehow I was thinapping with 4.7.0.  I reverted to the snapshot that had 4.7.1 on it and was able to thinapp Project and Visio 2010 correctly and it now gets activated when Office 2010 is installed on the VM.  Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Glad to hear Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cicici1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am curious.  Is it better to try to ThinApp Project and Visio on a Windows XP3 VM or Windows 7 VM?   Is it okay to thinapp them in XP, but use them on Win 7 64bit?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What is your deployment OS? XP and Win7 64?

It is recommended to package on the lowest OS (say XP) and deploy on the higher OS (Win7 64).

However, if your deployment OS is only Win7 64, you can try packaging directly on it.

0 Kudos
jweibull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have been following this over and over and still have problems when office is baked in to the view vm, but if office isn't installed it's fine.

Specs:

Thinapping on 32bit win7 vm and using MAK keys for both.

Does it matter if I am creating the thinapp on a XP box vs. Win7 box?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
cicici1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried to ThinApp MS Project and I got a strange problem.

I used ThinApp 4.7.1, on a clean VM: Windows 7 32bit, no Office installed.

Here are the steps I did:

1. Copy Microsoft .NET 3.5 and Office installation files to the capture machine.
  2. Install ThinApp on capture machine (or run Setup Capture from a network share)
  3. Run the Setup Capture wizard until you complete the prescan operation.
  4. On the Install Application page of the Setup Capture wizard, minimize the wizard and install Microsoft .NET 3.5
  5. The Microsoft .NET installation generates the mscorsvw.exe process that continues for an extended period, stop the process with the ngen.exe tool. By typing this in a cmd window: "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe executequeueditems"
  6. Configure the KMS server details in the Config.xml under ProPlus.WW folder.
    • <Setting Id="KMSSERVICENAME" Value="KMSSERVERNAME.domain.com" />
    • <Setting Id="AUTO_ACTIVATE" Value="1" />
  7. Start the Microsoft Project 2010 setup.
  8. Accept the terms of agreement
  9. On the Choose the installation you want dialog box, click the Customize button.
  10. Select Microsoft Office > Run all from My Computer.
  11. Click Install Now.
  12. Run postscan
  13. Change the Inventory name to something appropriate for your use.
  14. Before building project, move the OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform folder from %drive_C%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Microsoft to %Common AppData%\Microsoft
  15. Put the following in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.txt: "isolation_writecopy HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment
                                                                             Value=ALLUSERSPROFILE
                                                                             REG_SZ~%Common AppData%"
  16. Put the following in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.txt: "isolation_full HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\Preferences
                                                                             Value=PreventIndexingOutlook
                                                                             REG_DWORD=#01#00#00#00"

Please note, I did not do Step 14 and 15 because I am ThinApp in Windows 7 enviroment.

In addition, I did this:

• Put the text entries in the attachment Office2010-Osppsvc-Keys.txt at the top of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.txt in the project directory.

Now, every time I open Project, I get a pop up asking me to type in the administrator credential.

That's not good, because our users will not have administrator credential.

After I put in my administrator credential, nothing happens.  Nothing open at all.

I opened up Task Manager, I see 2 instances of "Microsoft PRoject 2010.exe *32" running in Processes.

Did I miss anything?  Anyone who got the Project and Visio working, can you post a step by step instruction for Windows 7??

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Have you had a look at this blog post? http://thinappguru.blogspot.com/2012/03/notes-on-packaging-office-project-and.html

Might help you out.

0 Kudos
jweibull
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I only have visio left and have one question:

It states with visio "This goes for both KMS and MAK versions of Visio. The big difference here is, when capturing Visio 2010, this is the only 2010 product we are currently aware of which must be activated during the ThinApp capture (where all Office 2010 variants and Project 2010 variants are NOT activated during capture)."

When they say "must be activated during" is that before postscan or after you press "postscan" while it's running?

I am using a Visio Standard MAK key, but it's weird cause when I open up visio after install it shows a premium activation... I know the key is a Standard key, cause I press the "Change Key" button and input the same key that I have in the comfig.xml file it changes it to Visio Standard. How do you get it to activate as Visio Standard?

Anybody having this problem?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
blade2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone coming accross this issue, MS Project and MS Visio have been thinapped seperatly and when depoying from SCCM whatever is installed first causes the other to fail, it fails with an error stating "The same or newer version of Project Pro is installed" - Visio std is installed. However manually installing both from the msi is fine.

Edit: Never mind I see they both have exactly the same GUID...

0 Kudos
btrabue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We did a while back and the problem was then that the MSIUPGRADE code in the INI file was the same on both of the packages. Change one of them and rebuild if they are the same.

MSIUpgradeCode={0FCCDC5E-66B1-3EB8-A84E-55B9CF6B0EC6}

Bryan Trabue

State of Missouri VDI Team

0 Kudos