VMware Horizon Community
JAY4VMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ThinApp MS project and MS Visio 2010

Hello,

I have issues in MS visio and MS project 2010 ThinApp.

I need to Thinapp these applications and activate using kms key. I am not sure how to activate this or link with the kms server. But my domain admin said that kms server is up for our environment. Can some one help me on how to thinapp these apps.

After doing prescan , if I open the application, the application shows its not activated, and if I enter the kms key, it says the product key as invalid.

Only the mak key works for me and if I Thinapp the application using MAK key , it doesnt work when I move the files to network drive and open from different machine. It says it can not verify the license. FYI i am using windows 7 machine to thinapp.

Can you post the steps in detail for these two applications, and activation using kms server.

I got confused in seeing all the blogs about these applications Smiley Happy

my email id is jngade@dsu.edu

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Good to hear it worked Smiley Happy

Please follow the same instructions for Project 2010 as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

1. Please use the latest release of ThinApp 4.7.1

2. Here is a step by step instuctions on packaging Office 2010:

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2011/02/quick-start-guide-for-deploying-office-2010-using-thinapp-46...

After completing Step 5, configure the KMS server details in the Config.xml under ProPlus.WW folder.

<Setting Id="KMSSERVICENAME" Value="KMSSERVERNAME.domain.com" />

<Setting Id="AUTO_ACTIVATE" Value="1" />

3. Make sure the deployment machines have access to KMS server (ping servername)

4. Do NOT activate Office during Prescan

5. Check this document for tips on packaging 2010:http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-15556

vSolid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As best practice is to start the setup capture wizard from directly from Network Share so that no change are made to the local machine except by the installed application

ALSO As best practice you may need to run application after install complete before post-scan, some applications add registry or finish the installation procedure on the First Startup. Always start and run the application at least once before the post-scan

BR

vSolid

0 Kudos
vSolid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you get an error becoz you go dirct to post-scan, you dont run the application  after activate it from KMS server to complete the full installation

before go to post-scan you need to run your KMS service and run Visio or Project to make sure that all installation parts are complete installed.

BR

vSolid

0 Kudos
JAY4VMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much for your fast reply.

"before go to post-scan you need to run your KMS service "

What does this mean. I didnt get this point. How to run the kms service.

Thanks

jayanth

0 Kudos
vSolid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You have two ways to activate office KMS

1- By KMS server/ by admin: make scan on network or ID & then activate your office

Or

2- On VM that hosting Office ThinApp, running a command line to activate office before post-scan and run it once to complete installation.

Here some websites that may help you

http://xenapp6.musumeci.com.ar/TechnicalNotes/How_to_Setup_a_KMS_Server_for_Office_2010.html

http://blogs.technet.com/b/odsupport/archive/2010/06/01/office-2010-kms-installation-and-troubleshoo...

BR

vSolid

0 Kudos
JAY4VMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I think i almost got this thinapped except a small issue.

if i run this thinapp on a clean machine it works fine. everything opens good.

but If i open this thinapp from a machine where MS office is already installed, it again says the error with licensing issue.

"Microsoft cannot verify the licnese *** the application will now shut down"

Did i miss any step. what should i do to run both office and visio in same system?

Thanks

Jayanth

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Jayanth,

The issue you are facing is resolved with the latest release of 4.7.1. Please download 4.7.1 and give a try

0 Kudos
JAY4VMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I used 4.7.1 version now. But still I am getting the same error.

Not sure what mistake I am doing, But I followed all the steps and did two times. But still i get the same error.

It doesn't allow me to run visio if ms office is already installed on that machine.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Can you try packaging without activating Office 2010 during post scan?

Please read the release notes of 4.7.1 here:

https://www.vmware.com/support/thinapp4/doc/releasenotes_thinapp471.html

It clearly explains the below points:

• Microsoft Office 2010 can now be deployed on systems with Office 2010 natively installed
  • Virtual Microsoft KMS-licensed packages can now run concurrently with other virtual KMS-licensed packages
0 Kudos
JAY4VMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried packaging without activating visio(i disconnected the nic card, which stopped actvation automatically) .

Still it doesnt work.

my doubt is when to activate the product.

if i activate visio after postscan or building the package, will that be included in the package.

i still get the same error that it cannot verify my license.

I have the kms license. do i need to input this license at any point of time?

sorry if i ask too many question, but i got totally messed up with this,,,.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Please read this KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1022287

Copy the content of Office2010-Osppsvc-Keys.txt (attached in the above URL) to the top of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.txt and rebuild the ThinApp.

JAY4VMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That worked. Cheers. Thanks very much for your reply. It took a while to close this issue.

But It worked only for visio. Project shows the same error. project shows the error from every machine, even if the machine has ms office or not.

Any special instructions on project thinapp or do i need to follow same steps.?

i am planning to thinapp visio and project together. does this works?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Good to hear it worked Smiley Happy

Please follow the same instructions for Project 2010 as well.

0 Kudos
JAY4VMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Lakshman for your help. I followed the same steps on a clean XP machine and it works fine. Thanks once again.

0 Kudos
renwich2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've tried following this guide and put the extra registry keys in but still the same, is there anything ive missed? Do you activate before postscan or do you just let it try activate on the client machine?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Are you packaging Project or Visio? What version of ThinApp are you using?

0 Kudos
btrabue
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just changed out Office 2007 with Office 2010 with KMS activation and now the Visio and Project thinapps have a "Product Activation Failed" across the top of the application.  I have the original package that was built with 4.7.0.  I ran the build.bat file using 4.7.1 and it did not make a difference.  Do I need to completely rebuild the whole thing from scratch?  

0 Kudos
cicici1234
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do I need to have Office 2010 natively installed before tryinging to ThinApp-ing Project or visio?  Our enviorment wants to have Office 2010 natively installed in each VM, and be able to stream Project or Visio to individual clients.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

No. Please capture Project/Visio on a clean VM.

Make sure you use ThinApp 4.7.1 version

0 Kudos