VMware Horizon Community
Mishu
Contributor
Contributor

ThinApp Isolation mode question

Hello,

I am new to ThinApp and i have tried to virutalise Skype. The capture process is OK. A have set e default isolation mode to WriteCopy.

When I receive a file via Skype and I try to save it on C:\Temp, the file I saved in my sandbox, which is a normal behaviour, but when I try to save it in the

Root of the C drive C:\, the file is saved to the physical drive. Is it a normal behaviour and if yes, how can I prevent saveing files in the root of the virtual drive.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
mark_larson
Contributor
Contributor

I think you could change the isolation= to "Full" and it shouldn't allow interaction with the local file system.

0 Kudos
Mishu
Contributor
Contributor

It is the same thing. The only difference is that i can`t see any files or folders.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is not normal behavior. If the isolation mode of the c:\ directory is set to WriteCopy, you shouldn't be able to save any files there, they should end up in the sandbox. If your project contains a %drive_C%\##Attributes.ini make sure it specifies WriteCopy in there, if the ##Attributes.ini file isn't present check the default isolation mode in Package.ini. If it is set to WriteCopy you should open a support request so this can be investigated more thoroughly.

0 Kudos
Mishu
Contributor
Contributor

So when i ThinApp Skype, i set WriteCopy isolation mode for the entire capture. Then before the build process in the build directory there is no %dirve_c%. I manually create the virtual drive with NO ##Attributes.ini. Normally it will inherit the isolation mode from the package.ini file which is set to WriteCopy. It doesn`t work. Then i am creating a ##Attributes.ini with DirectoryIsoloationMode=WriteCopy, and rebuilding the project. Stil the sam thing.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, I'd suggest filing a Support Request then.

0 Kudos
Mishu
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, before making SR, i will change my capture OS. Actually i am using WIN2K3, now i will try with an XP machine just to be sure it is not an OS problem. Do i have to install windows updates, or just a clean installation without any upadtes or SPs ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I'd at least install SP3, but updating with all the fixes shouldn't be necessary.

0 Kudos
Mishu
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing when i capture skype on XP SP3 virtual machine.

0 Kudos
NickOn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Merged - see real and write to real

WriteCopy - see real but write to virtual

Full - see virtual and write to virtual

So you need Merged either as global setting or for some folders.

0 Kudos
Mishu
Contributor
Contributor

Well i don`t want to write the the physical system. That is why i am using WriteCopy DirectoryIsioaltionMode, but it is not working as expected. As i have said before when i make a modification to C:\TEMP\file.txt, the changes are saved in the sandbox, but when i make a change on the C:\ (the root of the directory) the change is saved on the physical system.

0 Kudos
NickOn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try to put ##Attributes.ini file in drive folder (in the project)?

0 Kudos
Mishu
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. I am manually creating the virtual drive folder (%drive_c%), and i put in there the ##Attributes.ini file with DirectoryIsolationMode set to WriteCopy or Full. But there is now difference. I am able to write to the root of the directory and the changes are not saved in my sandbox but on the physical drive. If i create a new folder and a file in that folder, the folder and the file are saved in my sandbox. A just can understand this behaviour. It is like that for the root of the C:\ Drive the DirecotryIsolationMode is set to Merged, and for the other directories it is set to WriteCopy.

0 Kudos
kuchi1980
Contributor
Contributor

Same Issue here, I tried with Citrix and ThinApp.

Any solution already, I am playing now around for 2 days.

Please help me.

Many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
JohnVirtual2011
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing occurs with any virtualized application, at least on WinXP SP2. As soon as you use the Open or File Save As... and maybe other common dialogs, you have inconsistent write access to C:\ whatever specified directory isolation modes are. Isolation modes for subfolders seems to be handled correctly.

To reproduce this inconsistent behavior:

- launch a virtualized app and open its File open or File save as... dialog box

- from there, go to C:\ and right click to create a new text file, don't change its name for now. Leave the dialog box open. (1)

- right click to create another text file, name it test1.txt. Leave the dialog box open. (2)

- On the virtual system, you have both files

- On the physical system, you have only test1.txt

- From the dialog box, delete test1.txt and try to rename the first text document to test1.txt

- Ooops, you can't

- Now, on the virtual system, you see only the first text document (3)

- On the physical system, you have only test1.txt (is has not been deleted!)

So, the isolation mode for C:\ in this "Common dialog" case is just something oscillating between WriteCopy (1), Merged (2) and not-really-Full (3)

Sorry to say that, but it looks like it's definitely a bug.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos