VMware Horizon Community
vFantom
Contributor
Contributor

ThinApp Adobe Reader attach to email

We are running Adobe Reader via ThinApp and when you click File, Attach to Email, this option does not work. I did re-create the package and it works while creating the package, but when another user launches it, it just gives an error about no profile has been created. It creates and keeps my Outlook profile.

Changes made to package.ini:

I have tried adding ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions=Virtual and External

I have tried VirtualExternalOutOfProcess=0 and =1

I have tried creating a profile while create the package.

Do you have any ideas?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
yuriv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version of Adobe Reader are you using?

I tested it with version 9.x and 10 and both work fine (Outlook installed on image).

For versions 10 (Adobe Reader X) I captured (TA 4.6.1):

- Installation

- Start Adobe Reader

- Accept EULA

- Disable updates

Package.ini

VirtualizeExternalOutOfProcessCOM=0
ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions=outlook.exe;ctfmon.exe
ChildProcessEnvironmentDefault=Virtual

Removed:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Annots\cAnnots

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Annots\cAnnots\cAnnot

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VMware, Inc.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\AcroExch.FDFDoc\shell\Read\command\command

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\AcroExch.XDPDoc\shell\Read\command\command

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Installer + subkeys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer + subkeys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run + subkeys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_FASTFAT\0000\Control

%Common Desktop%

%Common Programs%

%Cookies%

%History%

%Internet Cache%

%AppData%\Microsoft

%Local AppData%\Microsoft

%Local AppData%\Temp

%SystemRoot%\Installer\*.msi

Changed from Full to WriteCopy

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Annots

0 Kudos
vFantom
Contributor
Contributor

Why would you delete?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader

0 Kudos
vFantom
Contributor
Contributor

Then you say

Changed from Full to WriteCopy

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Annots

But you say delete it?

0 Kudos
yuriv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Isolation was set to full for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader and I think that is not necessary so I deleted it.

I deleted isolation_full HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Annots\cAnnots(\cAnnot) because it contained information about the account I used to install Adobe Reader. I did not delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Annots

I'm not claiming this is the best solution. I'm just telling you what I did and that my thinapp'd Adobe Reader has no problems sending emails through Outlook. 🙂

0 Kudos
vFantom
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but this did not work for me. It still says no profile exists.

0 Kudos
Flux201110141
Contributor
Contributor

This is the process I went through with Acrobat 9 Pro to get the attach e-mail functionality to work. The process should generally be the same for Adobe Reader. I haven't fully tested whether or not some of the components are necessary, but this worked for me. Let me know if you have any luck.

1. Install .NET 2.0.
  2. Install Outlook 2007 (or your version of Outlook).
  3. Install Office 2007 Service Pack 2 (or the latest service pack for your version of Outlook).
  4. Install Microsoft Interop Assemblies.
  5. Create an Outlook profile with no exchange/e-mail support and launch Outlook (see below on how to do this).
  6. Start Prescan.
  7. Install Acrobat (or Reader in this case), run all updates and launch program.
  8. Turn off auto updates and close program.
  9. Start Postscan.
  10. Edit package.ini to include the following:

VirtualizeExternalOutOfProcessCOM=0
ChildProcessEnvironmentDefault=Virtual
ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions=Outlook.exe

11.     Remove any installer files in %SystemRoot% to lessen the disk footprint when releasing to users

12.     Build application

You can create an Outlook profile with no email support by doing the following:

• In Control Panel, select Mail
  • Select Add, name the profile, then OK
  • Select Manually configure server settings or additional server types, then Next
  • Select Microsoft Exchange, then Next
  • At the next screen, leave server and user name blank, then click Cancel. You should get this prompt:

outlook.JPG

• Click OK
  • Launch Outlook
  • At the prompt, click Next
  • At the next prompt, select No when asked to create an e-mail account, then select Next
  • Select "Continue with no e-mail support", then Finish
0 Kudos
vFantom
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys is any one else having problems with the 'attach to email' or 'send to' with Adobe Reader and Microsoft Visio 2007. It works fine for me, because I created it under my Outlook profile. But when another user opens the thinapp package, it errors out when clicking on 'attach to email'.

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

What settings did you use for the sandbox? I heard that in order to TA Outlook you have to set Outlook to limited. Sorry for forgetting the option name. The idea behind that was that if you have a local version of Outlook installed the TA version could cause problems with the local version. Perhaps this is a factor in your situation.

0 Kudos
cjohnson596
Contributor
Contributor

We are having the same and similar problems in our environment.  This is one more ThinApp failure.  I have opened several tickets with VMware support on problems with programs that are said to be "simple" to ThinApp - and the tickets all end with a "Sorry - it's a ThinApp limitation"

We have an initiative to remove ThinApp from our live VDI environment and install applications on our images.  It's totally bogus but the functionality and support doesn't exist that we need to function.  Some of the VMware support suggestions are silly and completely defeat the purpose of ThinApp's automation.

0 Kudos
nrj2
Contributor
Contributor

@OP

We know that the issue exists. We are working on it.

@cjohnson596

Stall your initiative Smiley Happy

-Neeraj

0 Kudos