VMware Horizon Community
cicici1234
Contributor
Contributor

ThinApp Acrobat can't see my scanner

Does anyone know what to do if ThinApp applications can access USB devices?  I have thinapped Acrobat XI without any issue.  I installed the scanner driver natively on the host machine and virtual desktop.  The scanner is being seen as a scanner.  It is showing properly in device manager.  Then I opened ThinApp Acrobat XI, tried to use the scanner.  Acrobat XI says my scanner can't be found.

So, I wondered if it has anything to do with ThinApp and decided to install Acrobat XI natively on the virtual desktop.  Ta-Da! The native installed Acrobat XI can see the scanner.

I have to make sure my thinapp Acrobat can access the scanner.  Is there a fix / solution for that?  Thanks!

I packaged Acrobat in Win7 32bit, deployed to Win7 64bit

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

What is your pacakged OS and deployment OS?

0 Kudos
cicici1234
Contributor
Contributor

I packaged Acrobat in Win7 32bit, deployed to Win7 64bit

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Could you try enabling WoW64=0 in the package.ini by removing the semicolon at the beginning?  Test the package after rebuild by executing build.bat, delete any existing sandbox.

0 Kudos
cicici1234
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry it took me a while to reply.  I wasn't able to test it until today.

I turned on wow64 in Package.ini.  Unfortuntely, it still can't see the scanner.  On top of that, I can't print any PDF to any printer once wow64 is turned on.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

What is the version of ThinApp?

0 Kudos
cicici1234
Contributor
Contributor

the latest one, 4.7.2

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

4.7.3 is the latest. Could you please check with 4.7.3?

0 Kudos
cicici1234
Contributor
Contributor

sorry, it is actually 4.7.3.  I just double checked.

0 Kudos
wingnuts1979
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. Thinapped Acrobat Standard and Pro X in a Windows 7 32bit VM. All good. Added both packages in a linked clone Windows 7 64bit environment. Base image of linked clone has native install of a HP Color Laserjet Multifunctional installed. Once the Adobe Thinapp is loaded and try to scan to pdf and adjust settings for particular scanner, it doesn't see the scanner. Using ThinApp 4.7.3

Any idea? More news on this topic?

Let me know!

0 Kudos
cicici1234
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I ended up making a seperate master image and pool for my Acrobat users.

Reason: Acrobat has too much ties to MS Office. Our MS office is natively installed in our image.  Our acrobat user needs the "combine files" feature in their daily work.  Combine multiple PDF will work just fine in thinapp Acrobat.  But, combine any office documents will fail because it can't find some PDF printer and some strange hooks with MS Office add-ins.  Our users combine hundreds of MS documents everyday.  Smiley Sad

My team spent too much time and finally figured out how to install that PDF printer.  But, we couldn't figure out the MS Office add-ins.

Back to your question, I DID get the thinapp Acrobat to see my scanner at the end. Instead of using a ultra clean Win 7 32bit image, I used our company's master image: Win 7 64bit.

In addition, I followed the procedure in this link: http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2011/12/enabling-send-as-email-attachment-in-thinapp-packages-when-o...  I know, I know this has nothing to do with scanner.  I "accidentially" got the scanner to work after I was trying to fix this Outlook issue. That's why I had to use my master image because it already had MS Office 2010 installed.

Or you may simply need to try thinapp Acrobat in a clean Win 7 64bit.

Not sure if this will work for you.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
wingnuts1979
Contributor
Contributor

Thnx for you quick answer. I will give it a shot and see what happens.

What i don't get is what you're telling about put Acrobat Pro or Standard installed in your base image. How the heck did you bypass the licensing issues once you created a linked clone pool?

Let me know.

0 Kudos
cicici1234
Contributor
Contributor

We made a seperate pool and master image with Acrobat natively installed.  We control the size of the pool and who has access to that pool.  

0 Kudos