VMware Horizon Community
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ThinApp 4.0.4 Support Windows 7?

I thought the latest ThinApp version 4.0.4 build 204871 is support Windows 7. But, I packaged vSphere Client and it did not run on Windows 7 32-bit. The same packaged ran fine on WinXP.

Have any one know when ThinApp will support Windows 7? Or, know a way to work around?

Cheers,

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The ThinApp 4.0.4 Release Notes says:

"This release does not support the Windows 7 operating system. If you try ThinApp with Windows 7, VMware invites you to share your feedback in the community forum."

Not sure when ThinApp will officially support Windows 7 since the OS has only reached general retail availability since late October 2009. I'm hoping that it will make it into the next major release of ThinApp (4.5) as implied by this recent promotion:

VMware ThinApp New Year Promotion FAQs
"Q. What benefits can a customer expect to receive with version 4.5?
A. Along with award winning features such as agentless architecture and application isolation, ThinApp 4.5 delivers Windows 7 migration support. This will enable customers to quickly package existing Windows XP or older Windows application for deployment on Windows 7."

0 Kudos
GarethWilson
Contributor
Contributor

Are there any timescales on 4.5 ? as we desperately need windows 7 support as we are moving in the summer to windows 7 :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
NickOn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are there some news about further innovations.

The mostly I'm interested if there will be something about running external applications by the vapp NOT INSIDE VIRTUAL BUBBLE.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can't you use ChildProcessEnvironmentDefault and ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions to indicate which processes you want to run outside the virtual environment?

0 Kudos
surfup
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually, the version 4.0.4 does support Windows 7. I virtualized vSphere client and it ran on Windows 7 32-bit. Also, I virtualized some others app and they run as well. The problem is you will have to re-capture all the apps that you want to run on Windows 7. I have not test it with the 64-bit which you need to turn on "WoW64" option in the pacakge.ini. The trick is you need to install .NET 3.5 SP1 first.

As for version 4.5 release, talked with VMware ThinApp and they said it "schedule" to release in first quater of 2010.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should not have to re-capture your application. With 4.0.4 you can simply rebuild if you have saved your project folder.

0 Kudos
NickOn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't you use ChildProcessEnvironmentDefault and ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions

Yes, I can. But if my virtual application is a dock (sidebar launcher), then I can't know beforehead which process will be ran from this dock (to add it in exceptions).

Or I've something missunderstood.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you know which child apps you want to run inside the virtual environment (from your description it sounds like "none") you could set ChildProcessEnvironmentDefault=External and then list any forced-virtual child apps in ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions (if you don't want to run any child apps in the virtual environment that list would be empty and you don't have to add the ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions setting)

0 Kudos
NickOn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, ggeldorp! I should try it.

0 Kudos