VMware Horizon Community
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Taskbar Icon problem with Google Chrome 32

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem when I try to thinapp Google Chrome 32. I did the capture with WinXP using Thinapp 5.0. The application is working very well but I only have one problem. The Chrome taskbar icon in Windows 7 is not working. Instead, I see the icon included in the screenshot. If Chrome is locally installed on the machine, it works. I tried to capture on a Win7 32 and 64 bits and it gives the same problem. Does anyone had the same problem and found a solution?

Thank you

Francis

Screenshot.jpg

46 Replies
DFoster87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still having issues with flash

Updated our master image to the latest version of flash but now IE8 doesn't work with flash....

I just seem to be going round in circles with this

Is there a version that works with both IE and chrome?

0 Kudos
aVISSER
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You'll have to download both versions of flash.

The IE flash and the other browsers.

For the Icon this worked for me

Manually add a shortcut(called "Google Chrome") redirecting to the chrome  thinapp to the folder:

C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Make sure all saved chrome userdata is removed before executing chrome.

0 Kudos
DFoster87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tried what you suggested, or so I think. It didn't work for me.

Will wait for thinapp team to find a solution

0 Kudos
DarrenJHron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Point of clarification:  Is the bug report for Chrome flash not working or the taskbar issue?

0 Kudos
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's for the Taskbar Issue.

0 Kudos
DFoster87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi All,

Since following the steps to get flash to work in chrome our users now get the following error when logging in. It looks like it tries to remove the app and then re-add it, looking at the desktop icon.

T:\ relates to the server that holds our thinapps

Anyone else seen this before?

chrome error.JPG

0 Kudos
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Lakshman,

Did you have any update from the Thinapp team regarding this problem?

Thank you

Francis

0 Kudos
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All,

Since following the steps to get flash to work in chrome our users now get the following error when logging in. It looks like it tries to remove the app and then re-add it, looking at the desktop icon.

T:\ relates to the server that holds our thinapps

Anyone else seen this before?

36490_36490.JPGchrome error.JPG

Have you tried to empty their sandbox?

0 Kudos
DFoster87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have. Completely removed the entire user account. It happens on all users from what I can see.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Francis,

No update yet.

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Any update from VMware on this issue?

I'm having exactly the same problem with the Task Bar icon being blank for the ThinApp package of Chrome 34.0.1847.131 m.

BTW I had issues with Flash in Chrome, so after installing the application I disabled several of the plugins before I did the postscan, the plug-ins disabled were;

Flash

Google Update

Chrome PDF Viewer

When I say I disabled Flash, what I mean is that I disabled the version that is installed with Chrome, you can tell because the DLL location for the plug-in is inside the Chrome Program files directory. Disabling this Plug-in means that the native Flash plug-in installed on the OS is used by default instead of the one embedded inside the ThinApp.

Same with the PDF viewer. We didn't want users opening PDFs inside Chrome, rather we want Chrome to allow them to download so they can open the PDF outside the virtual bubble.

Google Update disabled for obvious reasons.

0 Kudos
padocit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same issue here with the taskbar icon. Version 34.0.1847.131m thnapped in version 5.0.

Small annoyance but an annoyance just the same.

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I'm now actually getting an issue with this package where the screen inside the Chrome window gets all garbled then the application crashes. Anyone seen this behavior?

0 Kudos
Oizo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Google Chrome 34 and 35 are still showing the same behaviour...

Perform this test :

- Launch packaged Chrome

- Right click the "Blank" icon

- Right click "Google Chrome" and select "Properties"

- Click "Change Icon" and notice the error message : Windows can't find the file %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Google Profile.ico

That file exists in the package, and if you copy the "Google Profile.ico" from the capture folder to this location on the native environment, it works!

As you probably notice, I did bold the word "Windows". If you use ProcMon to troubleshoot the behaviour, and look for "Google Profile.ico", you will see that the process "Explorer.exe" returns "PATH_NOT_FOUND". This is normal, because "Explorer.exe" does not and cannot run in the virtual environment.

Another workaround than putting the file manually on the native environment, would be to rename the "%Local Appdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default" to "%Local Appdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default.old".

Then create a new "Default" folder, with MERGED isolation.

After the package is rebuilt, it should work fine. Google Chrome checks if this folder exists for this user, and if not, re-creates it. With the isolation being MERGED, it does create it in the user profile.

For the Flash bit that does not work, did you follow that KB..?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2037251

padocit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Going to try this out. No issues here with flash, i was able to get that working without issue. The icon is the only "problem".

0 Kudos
padocit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oizo wrote:

Another workaround than putting the file manually on the native environment, would be to rename the "%Local Appdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default" to "%Local Appdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default.old".

After the package is rebuilt, it should work fine. Google Chrome checks if this folder exists for this user, and if not, re-creates it. With the isolation being MERGED, it does create it in the user profile.

This worked perfectly. Thanks a ton for quelling my OCD.

0 Kudos
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The workaround works perfectly!!!! Thank you very much for your help. Flash works well for me using the procedure stated earlier in the topic.

0 Kudos
DarrenJHron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When investigating the work around for the icon issue, I noticed that this local directory is the same location as the pepper flash, which seems to no longer work (the flash work arounds do work by disabling pepper flash and app linking to an adobe flash).  Could the two be related?  As in some sort of permissions issue in reading those locations that are causing both the icon and pepper to not be found.  The two both USED to work a few versions ago, and at about the same time stopped.

0 Kudos
Oizo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

"this local directory is the same location as the pepper flash, which seems to no longer work (the flash work arounds do work by disabling pepper flash and app linking to an adobe flash)."

Can you provide more details about the problem..?

- How do you test Pepper Flash..? Can you provide us with a link..?

If I try this link, it works for me with Pepper Flash :http://www.chemgapedia.de/vsengine/help/en/flash/

Is this what you try to do..?

Or do you want to use Applink'd Flash with Chrome..?

Or am I missing something..?

"The two both USED to work a few versions ago, and at about the same time stopped."

They use to both work with the same ThinApp version...

If you look at "how to disable Pepper Flash" online, and attempt to follow this, you will notice that the location of the "pepflashplayer.dll" changed location from the user profile to the ProgramFiles directory...

I'd say that Google changed their code a lot...

0 Kudos
padocit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

padocit wrote:

Oizo wrote:

This worked perfectly. Thanks a ton for quelling my OCD.

I think I spoke a little too soon. So the method works but it breaks my Flash fix, which is to disable the pepper flash plugin per the instructions below. I believe the problem is that the setting is held in the preferences file. But it appears that if there is anything in the default folder besides the attributes ini file it won't produce the taskbar icon. Any ideas?

Just to clarify.

• Create a new default folder, with an attribute ini setting isolation mode to merged - icon works, Flash breaks.
  • Add preferences file to Default folder - Flash works again but Icon breaks

Flash Directions I followed:

Francis Beland wrote:

For Flash, I solved the problem. To do this, I had to manually download the Flash player from the Adobe Site (for other browser) and install it (as part of the capture or as an applink). You then need to disable the Flash sandbox by editing the mms.cfg file located under c:\windows\system32\macromed\Flash. In that Config file, you need to add the following line: ProtectedMode=0. Once it's done, you need to open Chrome and on the address bar, type chrome://plugins. You will see the line Adobe Flash Player (2 files). It means that Chrome is seeing both embeded and installed Flash player. You will see at the right of the screen a Details option that you can explode. Once you do it, you will have to deactivate the embeded one. Everything that contains Flash will be working after that. Still looking for the Icon problem. I'll post it here if I find something.

0 Kudos