VMware Horizon Community
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Taskbar Icon problem with Google Chrome 32

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem when I try to thinapp Google Chrome 32. I did the capture with WinXP using Thinapp 5.0. The application is working very well but I only have one problem. The Chrome taskbar icon in Windows 7 is not working. Instead, I see the icon included in the screenshot. If Chrome is locally installed on the machine, it works. I tried to capture on a Win7 32 and 64 bits and it gives the same problem. Does anyone had the same problem and found a solution?

Thank you

Francis

Screenshot.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Oizo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Google Chrome 34 and 35 are still showing the same behaviour...

Perform this test :

- Launch packaged Chrome

- Right click the "Blank" icon

- Right click "Google Chrome" and select "Properties"

- Click "Change Icon" and notice the error message : Windows can't find the file %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Google Profile.ico

That file exists in the package, and if you copy the "Google Profile.ico" from the capture folder to this location on the native environment, it works!

As you probably notice, I did bold the word "Windows". If you use ProcMon to troubleshoot the behaviour, and look for "Google Profile.ico", you will see that the process "Explorer.exe" returns "PATH_NOT_FOUND". This is normal, because "Explorer.exe" does not and cannot run in the virtual environment.

Another workaround than putting the file manually on the native environment, would be to rename the "%Local Appdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default" to "%Local Appdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default.old".

Then create a new "Default" folder, with MERGED isolation.

After the package is rebuilt, it should work fine. Google Chrome checks if this folder exists for this user, and if not, re-creates it. With the isolation being MERGED, it does create it in the user profile.

For the Flash bit that does not work, did you follow that KB..?

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2037251

View solution in original post

46 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick reply but I'm not talking about pinning to the taskbar but only the regular execution icon.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Do you see the icon in the Chrome entry point EXE?

0 Kudos
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes I do.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Are you streaming the application from network share or deployed locally?

Also, please attach the package.ini file

0 Kudos
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It's streamed from the network. I don't find the option to attach a file so I'll copy -paste the package.ini content here:

; This file can be used to configure build and runtime options for packages

; Lines that begin with a semicolon contain only comments and do not have any effect

; For documentation and to obtain a complete list of options available visit:

;

;   http://www.vmware.com/info?id=906

;

[Compression]

CompressionType=Fast

[Isolation]

DirectoryIsolationMode=Merged

[BuildOptions]

;-------- MSI Parameters ----------

;Enable MSIFilename if you want to generate a Windows Installer package.

;MSIFilename=Google Chrome.msi

;MSIManufacturer=CHUSJ

;MSIProductVersion=1.0

;MSIDefaultInstallAllUsers=1

;MSIRequireElevatedPrivileges=1

;MSIInstallDirectory=Google Chrome (VMware ThinApp)

;MSIProductCode={68502575-7DB6-0E15-1C37-E466E0F9AB0C}

;MSIUpgradeCode={C6510F1B-D120-03F7-022B-2475499A59E7}

;MSIStreaming=0

;MSICompressionType=Fast

;MSIArpProductIcon=%ProgramFilesDir%\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

;MSIIs64Bit=0

;-------- AppSync Parameters ----------

;AppSyncURL=https://example.com/some/path/PackageName.exe

;AppSyncUpdateFrequency=1d

;AppSyncExpirePeriod=30d

;AppSyncWarningPeriod=5d

;AppSyncWarningFrequency=1d

;AppSyncWarningMessage=This application will become unavailable for use in %remaining_days% day(s) if it cannot contact its update server. Check your network connection to ensure uninterrupted service.

;AppSyncExpireMessage=This application has been unable to contact its update server for %expire_days% day(s), so it is unavailable for use. Check your network connection and try again.

;AppSyncUpdatedMessage=

;AppSyncClearSandboxOnUpdate=0

;-------- Parameters used only during Setup Capture  ----------

SandboxPath=\\Share_drive$\usagers\%username%

AccessDeniedMsg=You are not currently authorized to run this application. Please contact your administrator.

CapturedUsingVersion=5.0.0-1391583

CaptureProcessorArchitecture=0

CapturePlatformVersion=0501

CaptureOSArchitecture=32

OutDir=bin

;-------- General Purpose Parameters  ----------

SandboxName=Google Chrome

InventoryName=Google Chrome

InventoryIcon=%ProgramFilesDir%\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

PermittedGroups=APP THINAPP GOOGLE CHROME

;RemoveSandboxOnExit=1

;RemoveSandboxOnStart=1

;SandboxNetworkDrives=1

;SandboxRemovableDisk=1

;VirtualizeExternalOutOfProcessCOM=0

SetVirtualModuleFileNameInPeb=1

;OptionalAppLinks=plugins\*.exe

;RequiredAppLinks=\\server\share\*.exe;c:\abs\path\file.exe

VirtualDrives=Drive=c, Serial=b87ca09d, Type=FIXED

;VirtualDrives=Drive=a, Serial=00000098, Type=REMOVABLE; Drive=c, Serial=b87ca09d, Type=FIXED; Drive=d, Serial=b87ca09d, Type=CDROM

;VirtualComputerName=TA50-WINXP

AnsiCodePage=1252

LocaleIdentifier=1036

; If you have problems running a 32 bit application under 64 bit Windows, try enabling this line before building the project

;Wow64=0

; If you have problems running a mixed 32/64 bit application under 64 bit Windows, try enabling this line before building the project

AltArchitectureShortcut=1

; Enable this option to load .Net binaries from the system instead of the package on Windows 7 or above

;LoadDotNetFromSystem=Win7

QualityReportingEnabled=0

; Enable this option to ignore DDE messages from external processes

;IgnoreDDEMessages=1

[Google Chrome.dat]

Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

;Change ReadOnlyData to bin\Package.ro.tvr to build with old versions(4.6.0 or earlier) of tools

ReadOnlyData=Package.ro.tvr

MetaDataContainerOnly=1

[vGoogle Chrome.exe]

Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Shortcut=Google Chrome.dat

WorkingDirectory=%ProgramFilesDir%\Google\Chrome\Application

Comment=Accéder à Internet

Protocols=ChromeHTML

Shortcuts=%Desktop%;%Programs%\Google Chrome

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ok. It looks like the Chrome ThinApp is creating the shortcut on desktop and Programs menu and i guess you are dragging the shortcut to the task bar. Is that right?

As far as i know, in Windows 7, you cannot create shortcut or Pin an application that resides on a network share. The application should be available locally to do so.

0 Kudos
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No that's not the case. I'm just opening the application and the icon that is created in the taskbar (no pinning involved) is that generic one in the screenshot. The vSphere client Thinapp that you can see beside it has been executed the same way and we see the good icon.

And you are right about Windows 7 not permitting a network icon to be pinned on the taskbar but there is a workaround that can be done.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Is it possible to share the complete ThinApp package along with project files so that I can have a look?

0 Kudos
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can do it but you'll have to show me how to load the entire project. However the problem is simple to reproduce. Just by capturing the current version of Google Chrome on either WinXP or Win7 and try to run it on a Win7 machine that don't have it installed locally, you should be able to see the problem.

0 Kudos
DFoster87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Francis, I have this same issue. Updated the application to Chrome 33 and its the same. The only thing I did differently to my previous package (v26) was that after opening the application before post scanning, i remove the Chrome icon that is pinned to the task bar. Wonder if that is somehow related or just pure coincidence. About to do another build, so ill report back

EDIT:

Just done another build, didn't update from v32 and changed absolutely nothing in the build process. Still the same. It doesn't display the icon when the application is open

0 Kudos
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the followup DFoster87. I must say I'm clueless at the moment.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Do you use dropbox? If yes, you can upload (public) the complete ThinApp project files and send the link.

0 Kudos
DFoster87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To add to this, Shockwave plugin no longer works when thinapp'd. Wish I hadnt bothered updating now!!

I'll try do a repackage today and i'll upload it to dropbox

0 Kudos
DFoster87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Link to a test installation I did, not configured fully as it still shows the same issue.

Icon on taskbar not displaying and shockwave player not loading

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rg3yuhxhzgdh4jm/Google%2033%20test.zip

0 Kudos
FrancisBeland
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For Flash, I solved the problem. To do this, I had to manually download the Flash player from the Adobe Site (for other browser) and install it (as part of the capture or as an applink). You then need to disable the Flash sandbox by editing the mms.cfg file located under c:\windows\system32\macromed\Flash. In that Config file, you need to add the following line: ProtectedMode=0. Once it's done, you need to open Chrome and on the address bar, type chrome://plugins. You will see the line Adobe Flash Player (2 files). It means that Chrome is seeing both embeded and installed Flash player. You will see at the right of the screen a Details option that you can explode. Once you do it, you will have to deactivate the embeded one. Everything that contains Flash will be working after that. Still looking for the Icon problem. I'll post it here if I find something.

youngjus11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried packaging on 32 and 64 bit machines in Thinapp 5.0. The only time I can get the icon to appear on the taskbar is if the machine alread has chrome installed. I cant find much information on changing the default icon for a program in windows 7 without using a 3rd party tool. I am trying to can figure that out so I will be able to see the location Chrome is trying to pull this icon from. I had to do the Flash hack as well to get that working.

0 Kudos
DFoster87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cant get the flash player thing to work. The version we have on our master image is 11.3.300.257 active, installed the same version when packaging the application and it doesn't build with the chrome thinapp.

Assuming that if I updated the version on our master image and then packaged this it should work. Ive had enough for today though, been working 12 hours straight

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

An update: A bug has been filed on this issue and ThinApp team is working on it.