VMware Horizon Community
kruer
Contributor
Contributor

Sql Express

I am brand new to Thin App so this may seem like a silly  question but: Can Thin App be used to run 2 separate instances of Sql Express on the same computer?  If so, can both databases be updated?

Willie

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Theike
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Willie,

Welcome to the forums.

ThinApp allows you to virtualise applications (or in your case: services) no longer requiring you to natively install them on a target system. Although it is possible to technically virtualise SQL server, you will never be able to run 2 versions nect to each other on the same machine. This is already a limitation based on the ports claimed to communicate.

Furthermore you will have to check if this is a desired way of using it. As a developer myself i had much better (stability/performancewise) results with running the server in a virtual system. With a thinapped version you will have to think about how you want to manage the databases, as you don't want them in your sandbox (they might grow huge, especially the log files).

On the other hands i have great experiences virtualising the applications using the server to be able to deploy them without having to install the clients and create the database connections on each client system available.

My tip would be:
Download VMware server/ESXi or use VMware Workstation and install on a (minimal) system.

Kind regards,

Michael Baars (CIS)

(Please mark the question answered if so and remember to reward those who helped you)

Michael Baars - Comprehensive ICT Solutions (NL, Weert) (Remember to mark the post answered and reward points to those who helped you...)
0 Kudos