VMware Horizon Community
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

SideBySide errors.

Hi, I am evaluating ThinApp, but have come up with a problem that I'm hoping someone may have a solution for.

My packaging environment :-

VMware Workstation Virtual Machine (7.1.3 build-324285) Windows XP Pro version (Build 2600.xpclient.010817-1148) with VMware tools installed.
ThinApp version 4.6.1-361923

Test client PC :-
Windows XP Pro SP3 (Build 2600.xp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)

The issue :-
I've packaged a both Opera and Ultraedit without errors.

When I copy the resulting exe files to my test client the app fails to launch and the following SideBySide, EventID 59, errors appear in the system log :-

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls. Reference error message: The system cannot find the path specified.

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\Uedit32.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls. Reference error message: The system cannot find the path specified.

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\Uedit32.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Interestingly the same package launches fine on a Window 7 test machine.

I can see various discussions about this going back in time, however I can't find one that has a solution to this issue.

Thanks.

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The reason you do not find a solution is that there is no real one.. These events are irritating but are not indicating a true error. There is a workaround. On you physical client add the following folders C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit. This will make the events go away for UltraEdit..

In other words, add a folder into the Program Files folder named the same as the natively installed folder within Program Files is called.

0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

I have created the folder as suggested, however am still getting the same symptoms.

Even if this did work, surely the point of ThinApp is that a user can simply access an run the .exe without having to  make any other changes to their desktop?

If I can't get this to work I shall have to seek an alternate solution.

Regards,

Chris.

If you found this helpful please consider the use of the Helpful /Correct buttons to award points. Thanks !!
0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well, the package is working isn’t? The events in the event view are just false positives. Not a true issue.

0 Kudos
Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No, as per my original post, the application fails to start.

Sounds from what your saying that the SideBySide message may be a red herring.

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I bet that is true.. The SxS errors in the event viewer are most likely not related to the root cause of why the application is not running.

Have you looked at this post trying to help out with troubleshooting methods? http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/10/thinapp-troubleshooting-methods.html

Chris_Howard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for the info Peter. I shall check out your link.

0 Kudos