I have thinapp'ed the mangement tools and everything seems to work fine except when I try and run the import and export wizard I get the following error:
"Unable to load DLL 'dts'. A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045A)
I have tried different installs with full management tools and full management tools + integration services. Is there something else I am missing?
I have tested that the wizard does run after installation (before postscan)
Have you gone through all the troubleshooting steps we recommend? More info here: http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/10/thinapp-troubleshooting-methods.html
I am mostly interested to hear if it works during dirty test.
I'm getting the same error with the same HRESULT when I try to launch the Import And Export Data utility. I'm getting a similar message regarding dts.dll when launching the Data Profile Viewer.
As suggested, I tried a "dirty test" and get failures on both applications.
I tried capturing again, but ended up with the same results. This time, I launched all of the SQL Tools applications before the post installation capture to ensure all of the installation and compiling was complete. This resulted in hundreds of more files being captured. However, there is something obviously missing.
May be the root cause is that the application's paths are rediculously long. These initially caused the capture process failed until I moved the target folder to the root of C: and put it in a really short folder name. The capture program's error was that it was unable to write a ##attributes.ini. When I went to the target folder using Windows Explorer, it also was unable to create any files and gave a more accurate error.
Unfortunately, my CnB machine ran out of disk space, so I had to do some creative NET USE and SUBST commands to get the project copied elsewhere. Then the build failed; the paths were so long that the build process could not get file attibutes of many objects. After using a SUBST command to truncate the path, I was able to get a build to complete, but found that the DTS-related DLLs were still not able to be loaded. I need to drop this app for now, but hope to resume the week after next.
Great post, Frank. While this does not solve my problem, it does give me cause to open a ticket. This is still on the back burner, but when I get an opportunity, I'll call this in. Thanks!
Finally, I had time to downgrade to 4.5 and tried what Frank did. Without recapturing, I took the SQLClient package that I had captured and simply rebuilt it with 4.5. Voila. Both the "Data Profile Viewer" and "Import and Export Data" utilities launched, error-free. Not that I doubted Frank, but when I call this in I will need to demo the issue. Thanks again to Frank!
I followed through and opened case 11110872810 with VMWare. They were able to recreate the problem. Further, they believe that this issue will be resolved in version 4.7. After uploading my project to their site, they used 4.7 to build it and sent me the binaries. Preliminary results are good - the errors we were seeing do not occur.
I'm not sure what phase (rc, beta, etc) 4.7 was in when they performed the build. The tech rep also stated that while it was his belief that 4.7 will be released soon, he could not give a date at this time.
The workaround is to use 4.5 to build it for now and rebuild with 4.7 when it gets officially released. Currently, our lead MS SQLServer DBA is using the 4.7 build and begun to direct other DBAs to use the 4.5 build. I agree with the tech rep that 4.7 will resolve the issue.