VMware Horizon Community
peerke
Contributor
Contributor

Run .exe from UNC path within virtual application

We have a client-server application which can only be used after a small portion of client software is installed locally.

To start the application an executable must be start from an UNC path (
server\share\bin\appl.exe)

I've captured the client install portion of the software and made a thinapp application from it.

When i use it, an error message occurs: "
server\share\bin\appl.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

After some playing arround with a cmd.exe box within the application it seems that the virtual app cannot handle to start an .exe within the virtual app.

If i create a drivemapping whitin the virtual app to the network share (net use r:
server\share) i'm able to start the executable.

There are a few downsides to this solution.

- The application must be modified to use a driveletter in stead of unc path's

- The created driveletter is visible within explorer on the host where the virtual app is used.

Are there any solutions for this problem?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
karavinds1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

This seems to be a limitation with the application. It is not a bad idea to write a "bat" file to map the drive and run the exe and then to disconnect the map drive once completed. Also you may try to run a different application as thinapp to see if it behaves the same.

Regards,

Aravind K

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Regards, Aravind K If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
peerke
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the solution with the .bat file.

That works but during the time i use the application, the created drive mapping is visible and usable for the user logged in to the workstation the application is running on.

We do have a few more applications that work in a smilair way. For every application i need to reserve a driveletter because these applications can be run at the same time by the same user on the same workstation.

I've tried xenocode / ZAV. Xenocode / ZAV gives me no problems. The application created with xenocode behaves as expected.

My conclusion is that the problem lies with thinapp.

0 Kudos
hos250872
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've encountered the same problem.

Even simple notepad.exe cannot be startet using an UNC path within a thinapp bubble. Error: Not a valid Win32 application

Also, robocopy in a bubble can't copy from a source directory using UNC, it rejects the UNC path with Error 123, which normaly means the syntax for the filepath is wrong, but the same path works in a non thinapped commandline.

So, the conclusion is the same as the one from peerke: ThinApps (at least Version 4.0.4.) screws the UNC pathes somehow.

0 Kudos
snantel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can we get someone from VMware guiding us with that ?

I'm having the same problem with this. (Trying to make a package of Summation Network (client part))

I get the same problem... (Executable '
nat-sumxxx\Summation\iBlaze\sw32.exe' had the following unrecoverable error: Unable to open
nat-sum01\Summation\iBlaze\sw32.exe.

I'm using build: ThinApp Version: 4.0.4-204871

If I run the command line from the debug cmd.exe, getting the error "
nat-sumxxx\Summation\iBlaze\sw32.exe" is not a valid Win32 application.

Thanks a lot in advance !

0 Kudos
TechE
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same experience as stevenantel trying to run Summation from a UNC path once it is virtualized. The application runs fine before packaging, but once it is virtualized something is stopping the package from seeing or opening the UNC path. I have had the exact same experience with another program that is setup similar to Summation as well.

Is this definitely a limitation of Thinapp (I'm using version 4.0.4-204871) or is it one of the attributes.ini files somewhere that should be set to merged instead of full or writecopy?

Also, I'm packaging this on a Windows 7 machine to be run on a Windows 7 machine, which I realize Thinapp does not support at this time. I'm wondering though, if everyone else posting here has had this experience when capturing on a Windows 7 machine or if capturing on a Windows XP machine would make any difference?

0 Kudos
snantel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ThinApp 4.5 will be supported on Windows 7...

For the UNC issue, looks like we are on an ignore list, cause nobody commented yet ! Smiley Sad

Waiting to get my final support contract signed and I will bug the support.

Will let you know !

0 Kudos