VMware Horizon Community
RightSolution
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Registry keys not visible on Windows 7 x64

Have problem with VBScript running from ThinApp bubble on Windows 7 x64.

Trying to validate HKLM\Software\Vendor\Control existence to prevent packages execution on non-corporate desktops

If this script runs outside of the bubble it can read the key, if it runs inside - does not. Where is the catch? Does not WriteCopy should allow to read any keys user normally have access to?

On Windows XP x86 problem is not seen with the same package.

Any ideas?

Will try to fire up a support case tomorrow.

When run Regedit from the bubble it does not see any keys under Software\Vendor but looks OK natively.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In fact you cannot even see WOW6432Node at all.

Not from a Win32 app, no. Try launching the native 32-bit regedit c:\windows\syswow64\regedit.exe, you won't see the WOW6432Node there either and in the 32-bit native regedit HKLM\Software\Vendor\Control won't be visible either. 32-bit Apps only see what's below WOW6432Node. So if you want a 32-bit app to see something in what the 32-bit app thinks is HKLM\Software\Vendor\Control, you'll have to create HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Vendor\Control from a 64-bit app.

You're welcome to open a support request, but this is the way WOW64 (32 bit apps on 64 bit Windows) works, it's not something we can change.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thinapp 4.0.4 is not fully supported with Win7, wait until the next release before creating a SR.

You should not need to wait too long...

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

32-bit apps running on 64-bit Windows versions have a different view of the registry than 64-bit apps. What appears as HKLM\Software\Vendor\Control to a 32-bit app is stored in HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Vendor\Control as seen from a 64-bit app.

When you run regedit from the virtual environment you'll see the 32-bit view (since ThinApp is always 32-bit), when you run regedit natively you're most likely using 64-bit regedit and you'll see the 64-bit view.

0 Kudos
RightSolution
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for reply. In fact you cannot even see WOW6432Node at all. It looks like the registry is in full isolation and you can only see keys that are part of thinapp package under software...

I even tried with pre-release of 4.5, same thing... Should I still wait for GA before openening the case?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Trying to validate HKLM\Software\Vendor\Control existence to prevent packages execution on non-corporate desktops

that's because there is NO Vendor key under HKLM. Not sure what you installed, but that is NOT a default key.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In fact you cannot even see WOW6432Node at all.

Not from a Win32 app, no. Try launching the native 32-bit regedit c:\windows\syswow64\regedit.exe, you won't see the WOW6432Node there either and in the 32-bit native regedit HKLM\Software\Vendor\Control won't be visible either. 32-bit Apps only see what's below WOW6432Node. So if you want a 32-bit app to see something in what the 32-bit app thinks is HKLM\Software\Vendor\Control, you'll have to create HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Vendor\Control from a 64-bit app.

You're welcome to open a support request, but this is the way WOW64 (32 bit apps on 64 bit Windows) works, it's not something we can change.

0 Kudos
RightSolution
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is foo key I used for this example. In reality there is a key

that we use to control OS image thinapp package runs on. Thi would

prevent copy of thinapp package to personal PC. Does it make sense?

Sent from my iPhone

On 2010-03-16, at 8:54 AM, RParker <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
RightSolution
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Something else I noticed. If I run cmd.exe entry point and from it execute regedit.exe than in Task Manager regedit.exe is shown as cmd.exe, is it a bug?

0 Kudos
RightSolution
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see now what is the problem here... I guess, the question is when ThinApp will be able to run 64bit processes? Is it something that will be available soon?

What options do we have to read 64 bit keys? Any loop hole we can create to do this?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I assume you're trying to read the key from a VBScript? I'm not sure how to do this from VBScript. At the API level you can pass KEY_WOW64_64KEY to RegOpenKeyExW() to get access to the 64-bit registry view from a 32-bit app. See e.g.[here|http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archive/2004/04/05/107433.aspx] for more info.

I assume your organization is putting the HKLM\Software\Vendor\Control key there in the first place, wouldn't it be possible to just add HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\Vendor\Control to whatever process you use to add the key?

0 Kudos
RightSolution
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It would be easier, but the assumption that same package works on

32/64 OSes. I guess, this is not a dead end and we have multiple choice.

Any word on when ThinApp can 64bit apps? Is it on the way?

Thanks for great answers.

Sent from my iPhone

On 2010-03-16, at 11:44 AM, ggeldorp <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here I was thinking I cleverly side-stepped your question about 64-bit ThinApp. Sorry, can't tell you whether or not a 64-bit version of ThinApp is in the works without NDA. VMware policy is to not disclose what might or might not be included in future releases.

RightSolution
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

deleted

0 Kudos