VMware Horizon Community
arnoldveenema
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with ThinApp'ed application that uses native WINWORD.exe

Hi,

I'm using ThinApp 4.7.3 to virtualize an application that consist of a couple of HTML files and word documents.

The ThinApp'ed entrypoint startup command is something like

CommandLine="%ProgramFilesDir%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" "%ProgramFilesDir%\MyApp\MyApp.htm"

Notice that we are using the native Internet Explorer here. Which is running fine, but the webpage also includes multiple .doc files which need to be opened using a native installed Office 2010. When opening files, WINWORD shows "Microsoft Office cannot verify the license for this application"

I've already tried to alter my package.ini to allow WINWORD to open outside the virtualised environment with the following as per link

VirtualizeExternalOutOfProcessCOM=0
ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions=WINWORD.EXE
ChildProcessEnvironmentDefault=Virtual

The actual problem is I can see that WINWORD.exe is starting when the .doc document is opened from the webpage using task manager, but it does not show it at the end user. It appear to be stuck at the background or it does not appear to the enduser. So I kill the process after waiting for a while.

Next time I try to start WINWORD.exe natively, I see it has the .doc I selected from the webpage before as a repaired/recovered document, which it cannot open because the file is not found, probably because it's outside the bubble.

Any thoughts on this?

Kind regards,

Arnold Veenema

0 Kudos
6 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Where is the .doc file being cached by IE? Sounds like you are Sandboxing that location. Try change the folder to use Merged Isolation Mode instead.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Hi Arnold,

Are you downloading the .doc files from ThinApp to local machine and double clicking them?

0 Kudos
arnoldveenema
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but all folder are already in Merged mode.

0 Kudos
arnoldveenema
Contributor
Contributor

No, I'm not downloading and opening. That would be the workaround (which works btw). Once you've downloaded the document to let's say My Documents and than dubble click the .doc, Word starts normaly because it operates besides the ThinApp bubble.

My intention with the program is that the ThinApp'ed application will launch winword, without having to download and than start.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Noted. Could you check whether the ThinApp project folders contain %Internet Cache% folder?

0 Kudos
arnoldveenema
Contributor
Contributor

Got it! I recaptured and took another look at the project folder.

At first I through all emtpy folders away, including %appdata% %personal% etc. to try to make it as small as possible.

But apperently I cleaned too roughly so that the package does not know how to handle the folder integration.

I have exactly the same content in the ProgramFilesDir but I left the other (emtpy) %something% folder that are there by default, including there ##Attributes.ini

This helped the integration of word to work again.

Thanks.

Arnold Veenema

0 Kudos