VMware Horizon Community
zhossein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem Launching app from Root

Hi I'm working on a thin-app project
the original version of the application has a an executable file and a couple of folders containing dll files and some folders containing .bmp files and a folder for extra languages as well
these .bmp files are used for applications extra themes.

I successfully portablized my application and it works normally BUT

I discovered that when I PLACE AND LAUNCH my app from the ROOT of any drive those extra themes and languages DO NOT load in my app !

in fact when I launch the app from the root of any drive the only thing loaded in app memory is the primary executable file itself !!!
Is this my fault in capturing the project or what ? cause all of these folders (containing languages and .bmp files) have the "writecopy" attribute.
I've tried changing writecopy in "##Attributes.ini" file to "merged" and "Full" status but it not worked.

I'm using VMware ThinApp v4.7.2.
Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Can you attach the package.ini please.

0 Kudos
zhossein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's Package.ini

; This file can be used to configure build and runtime options for packages
; Lines that begin with a semicolon contain only comments and do not have any effect
; For documentation and to obtain a complete list of options available visit:
;
;   http://www.vmware.com/info?id=906
;
[Compression]
CompressionType=fast

[Isolation]
DirectoryIsolationMode=merged

[BuildOptions]
OptimizeFor=Memory
DisableTracing=1

;-------- Parameters used only during Setup Capture  ----------
SandboxPath=.
;AccessDeniedMsg=You are not currently authorized to run this application. Please contact your administrator.
CapturedUsingVersion=4.7.0-519532
OutDir=bin

;-------- General Purpose Parameters  ----------
SandboxName=IDM
InventoryName=IDM
InventoryIcon=%ProgramFilesDir%\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe
;PermittedGroups=Administrators;Remote Desktop Users
;RemoveSandboxOnExit=1
;SandboxNetworkDrives=1

;-------- Customized  ----------
SandboxRemovableDisk=1
VirtualizeExternalOutOfProcessCOM=0

;OptionalAppLinks=plugins\*.exe
;RequiredAppLinks=\\server\share\*.exe;c:\abs\path\file.exe
VirtualDrives=Drive=c, Serial=36e4a041, Type=FIXED; Drive=d, Serial=56e8c5e3, Type=FIXED; Drive=e, Serial=6c0e7262, Type=CDROM; Drive=f, Serial=04d40282, Type=REMOVABLE
VirtualComputerName=Thunder-PC

AnsiCodePage=1252
LocaleIdentifier=1033

; If you have problems running a 32 bit application under 64 bit Windows, try enabling this line before building the project
;Wow64=0

; Enable this option to load .Net binaries from the system instead of the package on Windows 7
;LoadDotNetFromSystem=Win7

QualityReportingEnabled=0

; Enable this option to ignore DDE messages from external processes
;IgnoreDDEMessages=1

[IDM.exe]
Source=%drive_C%\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe
;Change ReadOnlyData to bin\Package.ro.tvr to build with old versions(4.6.0 or earlier) of tools
ReadOnlyData=Package.ro.tvr
Version.FileDescription=v4.40.1

[IDMan.exe]
Shortcut=Internet Download Manager.exe
Disabled=1

[cmd.exe]
Source=%SystemSystem%\cmd.exe
Disabled=1

[regedit.exe]
Source=%SystemRoot%\regedit.exe
Disabled=1

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Can you, please, specify where are those "extra themes and languages" located in native installed application? And where are those "exta themes and languages" located in thinapp project directory?

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
zhossein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sry for the delay I've been busy lately
the native path for these extra files is:
C:\Internet Download Manager\Languages and

C:\Internet Download Manager\Internet Download Manager\Toolbar

the capture path on my system is :

F:\SoftwareFolder\Portable Captures\VMware ThinApp v4.7.2-771812\Captures\Internet Download Manager\%drive_C%\Internet Download Manager\Languages

F:\SoftwareFolder\Portable Captures\VMware ThinApp v4.7.2-771812\Captures\Internet Download Manager\%drive_C%\Internet Download Manager\Toolbar

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Is this typo "C:\Internet Download Manager\Internet Download Manager\Toolbar" or not?

0 Kudos
Imranq
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi zhossein,

It looks like the applications is not captured properly.

Try capturing again and use the default location which is C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Download Manager for 64bit OS and C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager for 32bit OS.

This is where IDM usually installs to. Also set Isolation to WriteCopy. The dlls should be fine inside the Thinapp.

0 Kudos
zhossein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thats nothing to do with Program file folder because I changed the path to "Source=%ProgramFilesDir%\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe" and no progress
I've tested project in both 64 bit (Win7) and 32bit (WinXP) and the problem still exists
If I set the Isolation mode on Writecopy then the IDM cannot save downloaded files to REAL locations in my PC so I have to set the directory Isolation to Merged. That's nothing to do with DLLs!

• I tested Thinapp v5 and also v4.73 with "ReadOnlyData=Package.ro.tvr" settings and there's a ridicules thing about it
    when I launch the app it works fine launching from root but when i attempt to change the save path to any other drive such as D:\Downloads
    or E:\asdasd the IDM encounters an error:

It seems the thinapp somehow Isolated the project so it cannot fully access different drives! (personally tested it in both WinXP and Win7 X64)
Untitled.png

I switched to older versions to see if that works:

• I tested Thinapp v4.5 which lacks the option "ReadOnlyData=Package.ro.tvr "
    So I used "ReadOnlyData=bin\Package.ro.tvr" instead and the problem is solved now the app can work from ROOT and no problem saving the downloaded file in different drives.
    wow thik i found a bug ! but thats not my goal to use v4.5 :smileyplain:

• I also tested Thinapp v4.7.2 and saving downloaded files to different drives works fine but launching from ROOT is not solved! That's Weird :smileyangry:
0 Kudos
zhossein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

5.  Re: Problem Launching app from Root

Cievo Expert   

Is this typo "C:\Internet Download Manager\Internet Download Manager\Toolbar" or not?

I dont get it what are u trying to say man ?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Have you tried setting the parameter WorkingDirectory pointing to the folder location of the entry point EXE?

0 Kudos
zhossein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

what do u mean?
should i override the working directory?

[IDMan.exe]

WorkingDirectory=%drive_C%

Disabled=1

Is that what u mean?

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

Look what you wrote:

Native application has these folders:

C:\Internet Download Manager\Languages

C:\Internet Download Manager\Internet Download Manager\Toolbar

and virtualized has these directories in following:

%drive_C%\Internet Download Manager\Languages

%drive_C%\Internet Download Manager\Toolbar

My question was if those directories marked bold are as you wrote or you just mistyped it.

0 Kudos
zhossein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no that was only mistyping
and also tested changing capture location from "%drive_C%" to "%ProgramFilesDir%" got the same problems and no change; just wanted to make sure.
I'm wondering about this weird isolation in vmware thinapp v4.73 and 5.0. because I used the same capture folder for all the versions I tested. except "CapturedUsingVersion=x.x.x." which configured it separately for each version

0 Kudos