VMware Horizon Community
JoJoGabor
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Prevent ThinApps being copied

I have setup various ThinApps and store these on a fileshare and create start menu shortcuts to these applications. How can I prevent users from copying these ThinApp applications to a USB key to running at home?

Are there any settings to secure THinApps to be only run on certain machines/domains IP addresses etc?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NickOn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I shoud say that unpacking and rebuilding of the package is not big problem.

If virtualized program has some dialog windows then no problem even if user has no access to package folder.

For example, your scripts can be foung through dialog vindow of virtualized application in C:\Program Files\ThinstallPlugins\.

So I think, ThinApp can be used only as portable-maker.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Actually the security level (into ThinApp) is a user/group level.

So you can authorize a specific group in AD, and at home on other PC you cannot use the apps.

But on a laptop with cached credential I think you can still run the apps.

Andre

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
tanmic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can just drop a vbscript in your project folder before compiling. The vbscript can check for the IP address, or some other file/registry key that would be present on these machines and if these conditions are not met, the script would tell thinapp to quit and not run the program.

I use this myself - a script to check to see if the evaluation period has expired and if a specific registry key and/or environment variable is not present. If both of thes conditions aren't met then the process quits byusing ExitProcess.

NickOn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I shoud say that unpacking and rebuilding of the package is not big problem.

If virtualized program has some dialog windows then no problem even if user has no access to package folder.

For example, your scripts can be foung through dialog vindow of virtualized application in C:\Program Files\ThinstallPlugins\.

So I think, ThinApp can be used only as portable-maker.

0 Kudos
tanmic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just tried this... seems that for the next version, any change to c:\program files\thinstallplugins should be ignored and that the original files always be maintained to workaround this.

0 Kudos
NickOn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This was just a sample.

Thinapplication can be unpacked in two cases (no instructions, only cases):

- No access to app folder, but there is a dialog window with option "All files"

- There is access to folder. Then no deal with dialog window - application can be copied and (or) unpacked then REpacked without your protection scripts.

No cracking. Using only ThinApp.

0 Kudos