VMware Horizon Community
HiryuIT
Contributor
Contributor

Outlook thinapp crashed unexpectedly when using livemeeting add-in

I just created a thinapp of office 2007 and added the outlook conference addin. As soon as I try to schedule a meeting, not 5 mins go by and outlook crashes. I have tried this serveral times and each time the results are the same? Any ideas as to why this happens?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dnehring1
Contributor
Contributor

I have Outlook 2007 installed as a thinapp, installed from Office Standard, Office Professional, and Office Enterprise, with each pachage and installation Outlook crashes. I do not have livemeeting installed but do have constant crashes and will outline what I have done so far to try and remedy and or reduce the number of crashes.

I have installed office with and without SP2 and experience the same issue, I was experiencing high CPU utilization and found an article talking about removing add-ins from the Trust Center under tools which did resolve that issue, but has not helped wih the app crashes.

I believe that wilth the different versions of Office that I have used and the amount of builds that all experience the crashes that it could be related to something installed on my PC, I am going to look at my programs mainly Symantec Endpoint Security and start their by disabling the email scanning and then look at services that could possibly be conflicting with Outlook. I wil post any updates when and if I find find them.

*Below is information taken from a Microsoft forum on Outlook crashing..basic troubleshooting steps*

There can be a wide variety of reasons causing Outlook 2007 to crash. Some of them are listed below:

• Outdated Outlook installation

• Add-ins or extensions issues

• Problematic Outlook profile

• Corrupted Outlook installation

• Damaged Outlook data file (PST)

• Damaged Windows profile

• System specific problems

Solution

To fix Outlook 2007 crashing issues, you should consider these methods:

• You need to ensure if the crash occurs when you perform a particular task, for example while opening a particular email message or meeting on calendar. If this is the case, you can perform steps like deleting the specific item or doing a similar task as per the cause.

• You can try updating Outlook installation with the latest cumulative updates available

• Microsoft Outlook provides different command-line switches that allow you to start Outlook after cleaning few application settings. Based on the specific problem in existence, you can use these switches to troubleshoot. For example, if crash occurs when reminders are fired, you can use /cleanreminders switch to clean and regenerate them. Whereas, if issue is related to invalid profile keys, you can use /cleanprofile switch.

• Outlook installation might be damaged. So, you can try reinstalling Microsoft Outlook 2007.

• Starting Outlook using /safe mode allows you to start it without loading many of the customizations, Exchange Client Extensions, reading pane, customized toolbars, and COM add-ins, Form regions, macros etc. So, you can use it to start Outlook. If you find that Outlook doesn’t crash when you start it in /safe mode, you need to check the list of disabled items to see if any of them relate to the type of kind of crash you suffer. If this is the case, you can disable, remove or rename the item, as per the case.

• To check if the issue is Outlook profile specific, you can create a test profile containing no email accounts. Since it doesn’t have any email account, it will not send and receive any email messages. You can try adding the existing PST file to see if PST is not damaged. It will create a PIM profile. If it doesn’t crashes, you should continue working with this new profile.

• You can try to test the new Outlook profile with your email accounts as all the times, Outlook profile might not be the issue.

• If Outlook crashes after adding PST, the file might be damaged. Thus, you need to repair it using Inbox Repair Tool or alternatively by using commercial PST Repair tools.

• If Outlook crashes after trying a new profile, you should try creating and using a new Windows profile. If problem gets solved, you should keep continuing work with this new profile and delete the earlier one.

• If testing through new Windows profile doesn’t help, the issue could be machine-related. It could occur due to problems like faulty RAM, damaged files, wrong data in HKEY_Local_Machine hive, incompatible software or faulty Windows. So to check this behavior, you can perform steps like using Outlook on a different system, checking Office installation, performing Windows clean boot, replacing the corrupted RAM and other similar steps.

0 Kudos