VMware Horizon Community
falsehope
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Opening thinapped Excel via another thinapp package with VBScript?

Hello,

We have some developers that would like to run a VBscript that makes a call to open an Excel sheet. Now, they are on VDI and NOTHING is installed, everything is Thinapped.

I can replicatethe problem with the following: Office2007 is Thinapped and placed on my test box. The following is the test code .

Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

objExcel.Visible = True

Set objWorkbook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\test.xls")

Office is Thinapped and I did thinreg it to my test box. If I run this in the CMD from my local machine I get... " C:\junk2.vbs(5, 1) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'Excel.Application' When I run it from the CMD thatis an entry point into Office it works.

Is there a way to access a thinapp from a VBScript that is outside it's virtual house? What I'm after is making this call from one thinapp to another.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, I'm pretty sure a new capture (and thinreg) will solve this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Your VBScript sample should work. In fact, I just tested it (using virtual Office 2007 obviously) and virtual Excel opens up fine and shows test.xls.So the question is what's different in your environment.

You're using a fairly recent version of ThinApp, right? In the Package.ini file of your Office 2007 project, there should be a number of ObjectTypes= lines. One of these lines (most likely in the \[Microsoft Office Excel 2007.exe\] section should contain "Excel.Application". Can you check if that setting is present?

0 Kudos
falsehope
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have three Office2007 builds and non of them have "ObjectTypes" in the Package.ini file. Office2007 was thinapped with version: CapturedUsingVersion=4.0.1-2866

Maybe recapture?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, I'm pretty sure a new capture (and thinreg) will solve this.

0 Kudos