VMware Horizon Community
JorgeBuitrago
Contributor
Contributor

OpenOffice thinapp problem

I created a thinapp package of OpenOffice following the regular procedure of prescanning, Installing, configuring and customizing OpenOffice and postscanning, but when the package is distributed, it loses the configuration and customization and starts asking for the initial setup. Also, it loses the customization aplied (such as saving in .xls format by default).

In addition, I would like to know what I need to do in order for the end user OS (windows xp) to associate the files extensions (.xls, .doc, .ppt) with the thinapped package.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>>what I need to do in order for the end user OS (windows xp) to associate the files extensions (.xls, .doc, .ppt) with the thinapped package.

ThinReg this package on XP machine

>>, it loses the configuration and customization and starts asking for the initial setup.

By setup you mean initial settings or the actual installation program?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

"it loses the configuration and customization and starts asking for the initial setup"

Can you check if RemoveSandboxOnExit=1 is set in your package.ini?

"what I need to do in order for the end user OS (windows xp) to associate the files extensions (.xls, .doc, .ppt) with the thinapped package"

Alternatively, you can install the MSI on end user machines.

0 Kudos
JorgeBuitrago
Contributor
Contributor

>>what I need to do in order for the end user OS (windows xp) to associate the files extensions (.xls, .doc, .ppt) with the thinapped package.

ThinReg this package on XP machine

>>ThinReg it on the capture machine or in every single client machine?

>>, it loses the configuration and customization and starts asking for the initial setup.

By setup you mean initial settings or the actual installation program?

>>By setup I mean the initial settings, such as the registration info, the default formats, file associations, etc..

0 Kudos
JorgeBuitrago
Contributor
Contributor

"it loses the configuration and customization and starts asking for the initial setup"

Can you check if RemoveSandboxOnExit=1 is set in your package.ini?

>>it is, but it's commented out

"what I need to do in order for the end user OS (windows xp) to associate the files extensions (.xls, .doc, .ppt) with the thinapped package"

Alternatively, you can install the MSI on end user machines.

>>it's a good idea, but I would like for it to associate it when streaming the app

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

1. If not using MSI, Thinreg has to be run on every client machine accessing the ThinApp. You may have a look on automate Thinreg during user login here: http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2008/10/thinapp-thinreg.html

2. Where is the sandbox location? Is it on a network share or the default %appdata%\Thinstall?

3. If you are streaming the app from a network, make sure MSIStreaming=1 is set in the package.ini

0 Kudos
JorgeBuitrago
Contributor
Contributor

The sandbox is in the defaul %AppData%\Thinstall folder. the MSIStreaming=1 is already set.

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

>>ThinReg it on the capture machine or in every single client machine?

you need to do it on all machine, try automating it

>>>By setup I mean the initial settings, such as the registration info, the default formats, file associations, etc..

not sure about all of them but few of them certainly resides in SYSTEM registry; so when you move the package to another machine; you need to do that again.

0 Kudos