VMware Horizon Community
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Native Reader XI-Thinapp Office 2010 Printing Issue

I have placed Adobe Reader (XI) into our parent image since i could not get the thinapp version to work with webbased forms.  I have MS Office 2010 Thinapp (4.7) and it working fine.

When I get a PDF in Outlook (thinapp) and doubleclick to open the file it opens in Adobe Reader.  When I try to print I get the printer properties and then click the print button.  When I do that nothing happends.  If I right click on the pdf attachment in outlook and do a quick print it works fine.  If i save the the attachment then open it in PDF reader it prints fine.

I cannot figure out why I cannot print by doubleclicking on the attachment in Outlook.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

IMHO this is not Thinapp problem Smiley Happy

We solved well-known problem with Outlook and it's temporary directory. But if you open PDF in native application and it doens't print, then it's problem of native application and it's settings Smiley Happy When file is on disk and you open file in native application, there is no interaction between those two applications.

Can I know why you had to have Adobe Reader installed besides using virtulized one?

Look at this problem with Adobe Reader..

***Good question is half of the answer...***

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This issue was discussed here couple of times.

Outlook saves it's attachements into some temporary directory which is configurable. But problem is that this directory in default setup belongs into sandbox and virtual buble. So it means that only virtualized Outlook and applications in same bubble with Outlook see that directory and it's content. Applications from outside of virtual buble simply don't sees those files so it can not open/print/work with it.

http://communities.vmware.com/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&q=Out...

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1400437#1400437

About those directories http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817878?wa=wsignin1.0

0 Kudos
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So the path needs to change in the registry..can that be changed in the Thinapp package and rebuilt?

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

OK, I will write it again, but I promise it will be last time  :smileylaugh:

You have two options:

• To change directory into something you know it's not in virtual bubble (I will not describe this one, because it's useless)
  • To change isolation mode for default directory where Outlook saves it's attachements (that's the way you want to do it)

In Outlook 2010 default path for storing attachements is stored under registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security\OutlookSecureTempFolder.

Can you, please, send me:

• Content of that registry key in your situation
  • Output from command tree /F inside your Thinapp directory? (PLEASE ATTACH THIS OUTPUT AS FILE)

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I appreciate the help.  The files you asked for are attached.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Regarding your files value of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Security\OutlookSecureTempFolder has value:

REG_SZ~%profile%\Local Settings\OutlookTemp#2300

Which means this directory is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user_name>\Local Settings\OutlookTemp

In project directory you have to find file %Profile%\Local Settings\OutlookTemp\##Attributes.ini and change isolation mode inside this file:

[Isolation]
DirectoryIsolationMode=Merged

Then you need to rebuild application and test it,

PS: I just found that it's mentioned on page 90 in ThinApp Documentation.

0 Kudos
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is already in there as you specified.  I still cannot get it to print correctly.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

• Delete sandbox
  • Rebuild package with changed isolation mode
  • Test printing
  • Look where Oulook saves it's files. If it saves into Sandbox or real directories

Let us know Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have done that.  When i open the attachment I can go into the new folder that gets created and see the attachment in the local folder.  It still will not print.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Is Adobe Reader also virtualized?

0 Kudos
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Adobe Reader is Native, Office is virtual.  If I have reader as a virtual application it works fine. I need to have reader native to support webforms.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

IMHO this is not Thinapp problem Smiley Happy

We solved well-known problem with Outlook and it's temporary directory. But if you open PDF in native application and it doens't print, then it's problem of native application and it's settings Smiley Happy When file is on disk and you open file in native application, there is no interaction between those two applications.

Can I know why you had to have Adobe Reader installed besides using virtulized one?

Look at this problem with Adobe Reader..

0 Kudos
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The adobe reader was thinapp'd but we were unable to get webforms to work.  When we used the virtual reader and went to a  web from the fields would not get filled out.  These are state forms that have a button in the form to populate the data.  When you try to populate the data it would not.  I tried Thindirect to IE6, IE7, and IE8 all would not work.  They only way was to put it native.

I can save the document out of Outlook and print it normaly.  I can also use the quick print.   I can also print fine if Outlook is installed localy.  I still think it is a Thinapp issue.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Today there has been a new version of Thinapp released 4.7.3. Just give a try and maybe it will fix web form issue in Adobe.

0 Kudos
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

4.7.3 broke it worse  If I try to pint it just hangs reader.  If I go back to 4.7.2 the printer dialog comes up but does not print. On 4.7.3 no print dialog and reader just hangs.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Maybe it would be halepful to attach Log Monitor log files and try to find out why it's hanging...maybe it's waiting for something...Spooler directory isolation mode is most of the times the issue.

0 Kudos
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What logs are you looking for.  Sorry but I am not sure which ones you would be refering too.  I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You can find file log_monitor.exe in your Thinapp instal directory. First you need to run log_monitor.exe and then virtualized application. Do the "problem steps", which in your scenario is running Print file in thinapped Adobe Reader. Then stop logging and you have logs from virtualiezed application where we can analyze the root cause.

More at VMWare ThinApp documentation at page 83.

0 Kudos