VMware Horizon Community
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Native IE launching virtual java versions

Once a java package has been created with a native IE entry point how should this be accessed by users? For example, say I want 3 versions of java each to launch on a specific set of websites using the native browser (to avoid having to virtualise IE). Do I create the 3 packages, install the MSI and then place a shortcut of each on the desktop. Depending on which version is needed then the user will have to execute the correct shortcut???

Also, in this article I noticed the entry point will launch to a specific website, what if I need multiple websites to use a particular java package?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Most customers uses GPO to manage ThinDirect URLs. You can use config files by it is a little static in its nature. You find the ThinDirect.adm file in the ThinApp utilities folder.

Yes, redirection back to native browser will still work.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, each Java environment must have it's own entry point of IE. You should use ThinDirect to automatically redirect the user to the correct Entry Point / Package based on URL.

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.

I thought thindirect could only be used to re direct from native to a virtual browser?

In this instance I will not be virtualising IE, only the java package.

My understanding is that I package java - set a native IE entry point – create a shortcut on the desktop to each IE entry point – the use then uses the specific shortcut relevant to the java required. Is this correct?

If thindirect could be used to launch a native entry point running a specific java that would be good?

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, you are correct. ThinDirect can be used to launch any Entry Point, i.e. an Entry Point launching the native IE.

So in your use case you only have one instance of iexplore.exe but it is being launched natively or in separate virtual environments.

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So during the capture of the java ONLY package should I get the option to set the thindirect url? - Also, if I want to ensure that the local java version is used for all none thindirect url's will the re direct back feature work in this instance?

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Most customers uses GPO to manage ThinDirect URLs. You can use config files by it is a little static in its nature. You find the ThinDirect.adm file in the ThinApp utilities folder.

Yes, redirection back to native browser will still work.

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great, thanks for your input. I will test this out.

0 Kudos