VMware Horizon Community
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

Native IE java package not closing down correctly – Sandbox locked

I have a number of virt java versions which are launched within native IE using thindirect. If I close the browser when finished on the specific site (thindirected url) then the package closes down fine. However, If I navigate away from the url to a site not included within the thindirect url list the packages java does not close down correctly (can’t delete the sandbox and process still running within taskmanager). I do see the thindirect browser re-direct window open so I know the feature is working correctly.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sounds like there is a process being left behind. You should make sure all child processes are closed when exiting an application. Since you say you have Java packages I suspect it is Java auto updater being the issue here. But before you know for sure it's hard to give you a workaround.

Try this:

In the package's package.ini add this in the build options section:

ProcessExternalNameBehavior=Original

..and rebuild.

Now you should be able to use Process Explorer (SysInternals) to see which process is being left behind (never use task manager, it doesn't show you everything). Once identified it should be easy to solve.

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

I will give this a go and come back to you.

Regards

0 Kudos
ZebS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll second what pbjork said about java. In my case, I had to remove Java Quick Start from the package. Look for "jqs.exe" in the build files and either delete or rename it. The Thinapp Log Monitor tool is a big help tracking down what processes are launched with the thinapp if it turns out that jqs.exe isn't the problem.

I've had similar issues to what you describe when Adobe Reader or MS Office products are launched inside of the sandbox when a user opens a document from a link in the thinapp. You can exclude them from opening within the virtual bubble by doing something like this:

ChildProcessEnvironmentExceptions=svchost.exe;AcroRd32.exe;winword.exe;excel.exe;outlook.exe
0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

It seems that it is iexplorer.exe which is keeping one of them locked (looking at process explorer) - I have also noticed that the thindirect re-direct back popup window does not show when navigating away from this url. This is probaly the reason for this issue?

Also, I have noticed that whichever package is used first (url) then a sandbox is only ever created this this package - As is this sandbox is being used for both jre packages. Would this be isolation settings and should I be using full isolation here?

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should with the help of SandboxName= make sure the two JRE packages use different Sandboxes.

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

Sandboxes do have unique names.

I have fixed the issue with one jre package not redirecting back to native IE by re packaging.

Using process explorer no processes are showing up with both my jre packages when I use a none thindirect url. Even though this is the case I can’t delete the sandbox of either package. Only when I close IE can I delete both sandboxes. It also seems that this issue is causing both packages to use the same sandbox ‘sometimes’.

If I launch IE and hit the url for package1 then the correct sbox is created – If I close IE and re launch IE and the url for package2 then the correct sbox is created. If I keep IE open and switch between packages (urls of package1 then 2 and vice versa) then only one sbox is used (this could be package1 or 2 depending on which one I opened first).  

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

Using Log Monitor shows (as mentioned by ZebS) jqs.exe being launched with package1 and regedit.exe with the package2.

I will set these to run outside of the virt environment and report back.

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I have removed jqs.exe and regedit.exe from the packages with  which they showed up within log monitor. I still have the same issue, ie, the sandbox is locked and can’t be deleted.

So now when I browse to a site not included in either packages thindirect url list then look at process explorer NO process are locking the sandbox. Also, if I use log viewer then launch the package no other processes other than iexplorer are launched.

I am beginning to think that this is normal behaviour as IE is never really closed when you browse away from a site included in the thindirect url list and as such is still running within the virt environment. This is also backup by the fact that when you actual DO close IE then you CAN delete the sandbox?

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, any comment on last post?

Regards

0 Kudos
ZebS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think that's normal behavior. There must be some process in the thinapp still locking the sandbox. You might try a tool like Process Explorer to see if you can track it down if the log monitor isn't helping. Also, make sure to test on a "clean" OS. System installed IE plugins can cause some interference with an IE thinapp. Yahoo Toolbar and Adobe's plugins come immediately to mind.

0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

I have check all packages with log monitor and process explorer – log monitor shows nothing other than iexplorer and process explorer shows nothing locking the sandbox.

I have also tested on a clean machine with nothing other than thinapp and IE 8 installed (no plugins etc)

0 Kudos
oliAH
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There should be a process locking down the sandbox. Did you check if it wasn't a subprocess of a system process like explorer.exe, svchost.exe?

Did you disable the Automatic Java Updates?

The issue might also be related to a virtual service, try adding this to the package.ini: AutoStartServices=0.

See this blog post if you still haven't:

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2011/04/whats-keeping-my-sandbox-locked.html

Hope this will help.

Oli

Blog: http://oliah.net >> Twitter: @olivier_ahson
0 Kudos
NSITPS
Contributor
Contributor

Process explorer shows nothing locking the sandbox at all, java update was disabled (jqs.exe was removed from the package). I have also added AutoStartServices=0 which has not helped.

0 Kudos