VMware Horizon Community
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft RSAT

I have tried everything to get the remote administration tools to package. I am using thinap 4.7 and packaging on a 32 bit win7 computer with all latest service packs and patches. I found the guide posted in the forums and followed it but can't get RSAT to work

Anyone have any luck getting this to work or tips you could pass along?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

What is your deployment OS?

Could you try with the latest 4.7.1 release please.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=THIN-471&productId=161&rPId=2503

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Could you follow the document posted in the below link. Note that it has some steps related to View deployment.

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-18171

0 Kudos
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor

That is the document that I was speaking about.  Followed it.  Does not work.

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What happens? Any error messages? Anything to help us understand..

0 Kudos
leaffan
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem actually.

- After capture run on Win 7 machine with RSAT installed and works fine.

- Uninstall KB958830 and lauch ADUC and works fine.

- Revert to base image and run ADUC and works fine.

- Run from Win2K8 R2 and hangs

- Run from Win XP SP3 and hangs

0 Kudos
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor

In some cases the packaging fails..in others it packages but never runs.

I got it to kinda work by installing the RSAT in my base image then running a ThinApp capture on the steps to select the tools I want.  The ThinApp package works but will not install via ThinReg.  I had to create the shortcuts through Group Policy Prefereces.

0 Kudos
leaffan
Contributor
Contributor

I have been able to launch the MMCs now but there is an error "MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly."

It seems like there is a call that is not happening correctly within the package.

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"- After capture run on Win 7 machine with RSAT installed and works fine.

- Uninstall KB958830 and lauch ADUC and works fine.

- Revert to base image and run ADUC and works fine.

- Run from Win2K8 R2 and hangs

- Run from Win XP SP3 and hangs"

So this sounds like it is working virtualized on the OS it was captured? What happens if you capture on WinXP SP3? Will it run on Win7 32bit?

Win2K8 R2 is a 64bit environment right? MMC must be launched in 32bit mode.. Please have a look at this recipe I put together regarding running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Administration Tools Pack on a 64bit machine (http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-19177)..

The secret sauce being:

[Active Directory Users and Computers.exe]

Source=%SystemSystem%\dsa.msc

CommandLine="c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe" /32 c:\windows\system32\dsa.msc

Not sure it helps but hopefully worth trying..

0 Kudos
leaffan
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is working on the capture machine which was Win 7 32-bit SP1.

As this is RSAT, I can't capture on Win XP SP3.

I've added the CommandLine reference and rebuilding. Will update if that fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
leaffan
Contributor
Contributor

Unforntunately that did not resolve the problem on the WinXP SP3 machine.

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry for not taking the time to read up on RSAT but are you telling me it is not supported or even available on Windows XP natively? If that's the case you might as well give up getting it to run on WinXP. Sounds like it's using Win7 components we most likely are not able to get up and running on XP. Just like we will not make IE9 to run on XP..

You should have a fair chanse getting one and the same package running on both Win7 and 2K8 R2 though.. As long as you make sure you use the 32 bit version of the MMC..

0 Kudos
leaffan
Contributor
Contributor

Correct.  I was thinking that may be the case.

Now to see if I can ThinApp Exchange 2007 Management Tools on WinXP SP3 and get it to run on Win7.

Thanks for your time, always appreciate the reaponse for VMware employees.

0 Kudos
Schraeger
Contributor
Contributor

I was packaging it on Windows 7 32 bit.  It will run fine on the package machine but not after the build.  I made all the changes in the Package.ini and still does not work. 

0 Kudos
leaffan
Contributor
Contributor

The recomendation from @thepeb was to only use it with Win7 or Win2k8 as there was a dependancy on the platform itself that could not be packaged.

0 Kudos
Slude
Contributor
Contributor

Tried following the documents provided for RSAT on Windows 7.

Works after running install. Packages creates and test of .msi fails.........

We are trying to avoid installing RSAT on base image.....seems like we may not have a choice?

0 Kudos