VMware Horizon Community
TerryCaulfield
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft Office 2010 problem on some computers

Hi.
We're having trouble with our virtualized Office 2010.
I followed the guides found here but still doesn't start well on all computers (about on 7 out of 10 starts well).
So is working well on some, doesn't start well on others saying that the license couldn't be verified, that an attempt to repair was cancelled by user or unsucceful. And it shuts down.
Here are the reports/traces from one of these computers.
Could you please help us solve the problem?
Thank you.

Regards, TerryC

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

What version of ThinApp are you using?

0 Kudos
TerryCaulfield
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for not mentioning, 4.7.0-519532.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

On those machines where Office 2010 is failing,

1. Do you have Office 2010 natively installed?

2. Do you have another virtualized Office 2010 family product (say Project 2010) already running?

3. What are the differences in terms of OS, installed applications etc between the working system and non working system?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Also, what type of license - MAK or KMS?

I believe you have followed all the steps here:

http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2011/02/quick-start-guide-for-deploying-office-2010-using-thinapp-46...

0 Kudos
TerryCaulfield
Contributor
Contributor

1. No.

2. No.

3. There are some differences between them but I don't know which ones count and which don't...

LE: KMS.

Yes, of course, I followed all the steps in that guide. If I wouldn't do that, it would not work on any computer.

0 Kudos
TerryCaulfield
Contributor
Contributor

By the way, I found this on another forum:

By using this "trick" to bypass the weakness of Thinapp (it's unable to recognize the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%), it will randomly fail if Office is already installed or has been installed on the computer.
I think the source of this problem is the interpretation of the variable %Common AppData% by Thinapp.

Yesterday, I've found a way to perfectly workaround this weakness with a very good result:
1. Move the "Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform" folder from "%drive_C%\Documents and Settings\All Users" to "%Profile%".
2. Add the following text in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.txt:
isolation_writecopy HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment
Value=ALLUSERSPROFILE
REG_EXPAND_SZ~#2325USERPROFILE#2325#2300
Value=ProgramData
REG_EXPAND_SZ~#2325USERPROFILE#2325#2300
3. (OPTIONALLY) Move all the "%Common AppData%" content into "%Profile%" and edit all the %Common AppData% entries in package.ini

In the virtual environment, %ALLUSERSPROFILE% and %ProgramData% will be equal to the %USERPROFILE% which means that the common profile will be the user profile and it's not to Thinapp to intrepret and convert the %USERPROFILE% variable but to the Windows environment (and I think it's why it works better).
This operation is not a problem for a portable (or thinapped) application because "user files" or "all users files" have no sense.
So, you can move all the "%Common AppData%" files and folder into "%Profile%".

Now, I can launch a Thinapped Office 2010 on a computer with an Office 2010 product installed (if the "real" OSPPSVC service is closed, of course).

I hope it will help you!

Some guys were complaining that sometimes activation failed and they said this helped them.

What do you think..?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

What is the deployment OS on which the ThinApp fails? Is it failing for a particular OS?

0 Kudos
TerryCaulfield
Contributor
Contributor

So far it failed on Windows 7 x86 but we have Windows 7 x86 on almost all computers...

0 Kudos
TerryCaulfield
Contributor
Contributor

Well, is there a fix...?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

On those Win 7 machines where it is failing, can you ping the local KMS server? If the server is unable to ping, it could be a problem.

0 Kudos
TerryCaulfield
Contributor
Contributor

First, even if the KMS server would not be accessible on those computers I doubt that it should crash Office. Office just would not activate.

Second, our IT wiz guy said that he checked and all is fine on those computers.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Your first post says license could not be activated, thats why i asked to ping the KMS server.

Can you post a screenshot of the error please.

0 Kudos
TerryCaulfield
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't say specifically that it could not be activated, I showed the content of its message and I said that it shuts down. It means that it shows that message and it closes itself, so clearly something crashes in it.

I could try to show you that message but it's in another language so it wouldn't help very much. Anyway I explained the translated content in my first post.

LE: I found the english message on internet: “Microsoft office cannot verify the license for this application. A repair attempt failed or was canceled by the user. The application will now shut down”

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Are the users running Office 2010 have admin rights or standard users?

0 Kudos
TerryCaulfield
Contributor
Contributor

Admin rights on all.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Sorry, i'm unable to figure out the issue. Please raise a support request with VMware so that our engineers will have a look at it.

0 Kudos