VMware Horizon Community
febsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

MSI installation alert: The same or a newer version of ... is already installed

Hello all,

I want to install in the same VM Excel2007 and Access2003. For this i've build two different packages with thinapp 4.6.

The first time that i've installed a package all works fine but with the second package appears this message:

"The same or a newer version of Access2003 is already installed"

I've tried to change the MSIUpgradeCode and the MSIProductCode in the package.ini file of Access2003 project but when i try to built it appears this message:

"Invalid UUID specified for MSIUpgradeCode"

Any one knows what i'm doing bad.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sWORDs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Actually the productcode and upgradecode should not be equal between the two (excel and access are different products). And changing the guid manually shouldn't be an issue as long as it's unique on that system.

There are three guids in a msi:

Package Code - To identify the package if even a bit of the msi changes so should the package code

Product Code - To identify the product

Upgrade Code - To identify a set of products (when upgrading you can use multiple upgrade codes to upgrade from)

The error you're getting seems to be with the package code or in the upgrade table min version is not set (or is higher then the current version).

Besides that your installer registry keys might be dirty, check the entries in HKCU and HKLM. You might have some leftovers with the same Product Code, or try to use a dirty machine/profile.

And Peter, nice avatar, I can actually recognise you,

Hilko (Apeldoorn, Netherlands)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Please make sure the MSIProductCode and MSIUpgradeCode have 32 bit key excluding open and close braces { } and '-'

Have you checked the new Access 2003 MSI works on other machines?

0 Kudos
febsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've installed the access 2003 msi package in other VM and works.

My initial MSI codes were:

MSIProductCode={7432DB36-30B2-8AB2-7328-7E27BFC63A32}

MSIUpgradeCode={7BA91222-6CC6-8704-F903-45D6B7515EEF}

and i've changed by these:

MSIProductCode={7432DB36-30B2-8AB2-7328-7E27BFC63A33}
MSIUpgradeCode={7BA91222-6CC6-8704-F903-45D6B7515EEG}

Any idea?

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you uncomment the MSIProductCode and MSIUpgradeCode in the package.ini?

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Is MSIProductCode={7432DB36-30B2-8AB2-7328-7E27BFC63A33} a valid GUID? How did you create it? With a GUID generator or simply by changing a number?

Try to use any of the online GUID generators to create a new unique GUID..

pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Whoa, MSIUpgradeCode= must be the same between the two packages.. MSIProductCode is the one you must generate a new GUID for..

And remember to bump up MSIProductVersion so it's higher than the old package..

A blog post on the topic: http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2010/04/upgrade-a-deployed-thinapp-package-with-the-help-of-msi.html

sWORDs
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Actually the productcode and upgradecode should not be equal between the two (excel and access are different products). And changing the guid manually shouldn't be an issue as long as it's unique on that system.

There are three guids in a msi:

Package Code - To identify the package if even a bit of the msi changes so should the package code

Product Code - To identify the product

Upgrade Code - To identify a set of products (when upgrading you can use multiple upgrade codes to upgrade from)

The error you're getting seems to be with the package code or in the upgrade table min version is not set (or is higher then the current version).

Besides that your installer registry keys might be dirty, check the entries in HKCU and HKLM. You might have some leftovers with the same Product Code, or try to use a dirty machine/profile.

And Peter, nice avatar, I can actually recognise you,

Hilko (Apeldoorn, Netherlands)

0 Kudos
febsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

yeah

0 Kudos
febsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

simply by changing last digit

0 Kudos
febsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, i've build a new GUID code with http://www.guidgenerator.com, i use for MSIProductCode field and now i can build the package without problems.

Thanks at all

0 Kudos