VMware Horizon Community
Thib201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a way to write in a SandBox?

Hi,

I need to virtualize an application to offer users a personnelized application abled to run on there own system. To do this, users have to go on a webserver, choose options, and download the virtualized and personnelized app. I can't dynamiccaly write on the capture part of the project function of user's choice and rebuild the .exe because the webserver is under linux.

Is there a way to write dynamicaly in a "pre-defined" SandBox to put files on it (registers them on the ThinApp SandBox register) ?

Regards,

Thib

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Pankaj11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Thib,

As far as I understand when a user accesses your website, you give him/her several options to choose from, and then want these personalizations to be a part of the package, right? Well can you can save these personalizations on the user machine (in the registry or somewhere)? If yes, then you can add a VBScript in the package (rebuild the package once you add the vbs file and then deploy), in this vbs file you can use the api OnFirstSandboxOwner, and under this function you can read all the relevant personalized info and add it to the Sandbox (you can modify registry etc, check out the ThinApp user manual for this stuff under the "Creating ThinApp scripts" section).

If you have any questions please feel free to respond, I would be happy to assist.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Cievo
Commander
Commander

From manual:

Making Changes to the Sandbox

ThinApp stores file system information in the virtual registry. The virtual registry enables ThinApp to

optimize file system access in the virtual environment. For example, when an application tries to open a file,

ThinApp does not have to consult the real file system for the real system location and again for the sandbox

location. Instead, ThinApp can check for the existence of the file by consulting only the virtual registry. This

ability increases the ThinApp runtime performance.

VMware does not support modifying or adding files directly to the sandbox. If you copy files to the sandbox

directory, the files are not visible to the application. If the file already exists in the sandbox, you can overwrite

and update the file. VMware recommends that you perform all modifications from the application itself.

***Good question is half of the answer...***
0 Kudos
Thib201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for yours reponses.

@Cievo : I read the manual and I saw that, it's why I ask on the forum if there is an other way to write in the SandBox.

@Pankaj1 : Thanks a lot for your response. Your understanding of the problem was good even if it's more complicated on the reality. But you put me on the good track : in fact, it's possible to copy configuration file into the virtual file system the first time the application starts (chap. Creating ThinApp Sripts > Copying a File Example).

Regards,

Thib

0 Kudos