VMware Horizon Community
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Internet Explorer within virtual bubble

Hi,

Following on from another thread I posted regarding virtualising Internet Explorer with various plugins:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1983090#1983090

I've created a package containing Adobe Reader and Java Run-Time alongside an entry-point for IE8, I've amended the shortcut on my VDI to point to the viritualised version of IE8 (i.e. //filespace/tapp/iexplore.exe), this launches fine with no problems until you try to go to our local intranet and nothing displays, its just a blank page not even any error message, you can view external websites no problem but if I run IE as admin it displays fine including the local intranet. I've checked the proxy etc and that is correct. I can't for the life of me work out why running it as admin would change anything regarding this. The virtualised version of IE is also picking up our GP so this also doesn't appear to be the problem. The plugins are also working which was my initial problem.

Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Ross,

What is the version of ThinApp used and the deployment OS?

0 Kudos
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Lakshman,

ThinApp version 4.6.1

Windows 7 is the VDI enviroment

Internet Explorer 8

The system I captured IE on was also Windows 7, I just used the option to "Include an entry point for the system-installed Internet Explorer" which has worked.

Regards,

Ross

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Ross,

If your deployment OS is also Windows 7, are you running native IE 8 and virtualized IE 8 on the same machine? May i know the requirement to do so please.

Request you to try with the latest 4.7 version please.

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/thin_470/ZCpkYnRwaiVidGRAJQ==

0 Kudos
rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Both are currently running on the same machine, both native and virtualised version, we basically only need one version, there is no reason for the native version to still be installed apart from the fact I thought the virtualised version used the natively installed IE, that is what the description said when I chose to add the entry point unless I have misunderstood something. The native version I can also launch and that is displaying the local intranet fine.

0 Kudos
skinnieh
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

My virtualized version is pointing directly to an intranet page. This works fine, including going to other intranet pages. Going from from an intranet page to an internet page works fine too, but trying to go back to an intranet page when just visiting an internet page.... that's a no-go.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Have you checked this with the ThinApp 4.7 release?

0 Kudos
skinnieh
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, 4.7 and the version before that.

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Please raise a support (service request) so that VMware can look into this issue.

rdoveu1981
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I logged a service request about this issue and they found a solution to the problem with the Intranet page not loading, protection mode was calling the issue all along, we also found out it was causing all kinds of issues with the Java plug-in on certain websites. Strangely enough, the natively installed version of IE8 had PM on and was working fine, only the virtualised version of IE8 had issues with PM. So basically turning off PM worked for me.

0 Kudos
shrivastavaa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its a known issue since some time and been a pain with couple of application. When running in Vista+, OS with UAC on. Some application like IE, Adobe etc use a thing known as Integrity level while creating the process (when protected mode is on). This does not work with ThinApp yet;  we are working on it and this should be fix soon.

0 Kudos