VMware Horizon Community
kwacky1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Internet Explorer Add-on not working in VMware View

I have captured a program called HTTPWatch Basic Edition (http://www.httpwatch.com/).

The capture was done with Thinapp 4.7.1 on Windows XP with IE8.

The package has an entry point for the locally installed version of IE.

When I run the package on a standard desktop (Windows XP with IE8), it works. Not perfectly, some icons are missing from the toolbar, but it works.

However when I run this package on a VMware View desktop (once again Windows XP with IE8), the add-on does not function at all. When you try to activate the Add-on IE just throws an error saying the Add-on can not be found.

I rebuilt the project with 4.7.3 and get the same result.

Any ideas on why this app works on a standard desktop, but not a View desktop?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
myamamoto
Expert
Expert

Can you compare the environment between standard desktop and View desktop?

Did you use view desktop with dedicated pool or linked clone floating pool?

kwacky1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I first got the error on a Floating Linked-Clone pool as that's where it was intended for. But I also get the error on a Dedicated pool (as that's what I use day-to-day).

Both our desktop and View desktops are based on the same SOE (Windows XP/Office 2003/IE8).

0 Kudos
kwacky1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You're 100% correct, it's nothing to do with View, something different between the OS's on my physical desktops and my View desktops. I have since found a few other desktops where the thinapp doesn't work, so now th fun process of figuring out why.

0 Kudos
kwacky1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unbelievable, turns out it was my profile.  The problem was following me around, nothing to do with the ThinApp or with View, just something that's saved in my user profile and was being downloaded to every View desktop I logged onto by the persona management product.

So that was the difference between the view desktop and standard deskop, profile management.

0 Kudos